Week old drive failing already?

gotbeefinyotaco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I just installed windows 7 on my new home built computer and windows just today started popping up a message saying to backup my harddrive because it was failing. This is exactly what it said

"Windows detected a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk. "

The hard drive was Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB Hard Drive and I bought it from superbiiz. I am going to be sending it back for a replacement, but I am not sure what happens to the windows 7 I installed? It was the oem version. First time dealing with any of this so any help is appreciated.

suteck

Distinguished
Before you send it back start windows, open my computer, and right click on "C" drive. Go to Properties, then tools tab on error checking click check now. Check both boxes and start. You will get an error message about not being able while windows is running and do you want to next time windows starts? Yes and restart windows. Let if run through the process - it will take some time being 1TB even though a lot of space is empty, don't worry, let it run. It might fix those errors for you and not lose any data. If you send it back most likely the replacement will be blank w/ formatting.
If you have another drive with windows on it start on that drive and do the error checking on your Spinpoint. It should be able to do it then and there but still take a lot of time. Other choice is if you have a different computer, hook it up as a spare drive and do the above mentioned procedure.

gotbeefinyotaco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Ok thanks for the advice. I did as you said and it took awhile to check so I left and came back and it was already in windows so I am not sure what or if it fixed anything. Is there anyway to check like a log of what happened? Thanks.

suteck

Distinguished
No sorry, no log files to check. The only way to check it is to run windows and see if you're still getting that error message. Start it up a couple of times while you're there and see if you get the hard disk error. If not your good. You should include the check disk in a monthly maintenance practice. Just like defragging, virus and spyware checking and disk cleanup, temp and temp internet files removal. It will help to keep your system in good shape.