Sign in with
Your question

Hd 5770 driver problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 18, 2010 12:24:23 AM

i recently bought a sapphire hd 5770 vaporX. It worked fine with starcraft 2 with all settings at ultimate, after 3 days i noticed some red dots or some bad pixels across the screen , and when i run the starcraft game, in the game videos you can't see the characters faces or some graphic disturbances (really don't know how to call it). uninstalled the driver and re installed it again, same problem. So i sent my computer for repairs and they told me there was nothing wrong, i went there myself and the red dots just disappeared. so i went back home and again played some games and after playing for 8 straight hours the red dots appeared again. rebooting the computer didn't work. next thing i did was turning it off, didn't turn for at least 12 hrs, but when i was at it again i still have those bad pixels. Then I downloaded the latest driver from ATI then installed it, still the problem was there. The last thing i did was formatting and installed a whole new OS. as i was formatting it i can still see the red dots and still see it even after installing the new OS. But after i installed the driver with the cd that came with the card, it all disappeared. My problem is maybe when i play this for couple of hours the problem might come back again. so is this a driver issue or the gpu itself has a problem? i was thinking maybe it's my motherboard, or is it? or am i running too much RAM? please help.

SPECS:
processor: Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz
motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU
gpu: sapphire HD 5770 vaporX 1GB ddr5
ram: 8GB
hdd: WD 1T
psu: SilverStone STRIDER 600w

More about : 5770 driver problem

October 18, 2010 2:44:36 AM

I got the same card runs games real well. I runen the cat 10.9s . Sounds like a driver issue if it went away when you used the provided driver cd wich are cat 10.5s i believe . Run it some more test all games and make sure you got a power supply of at least 550 wats and make sure you got plenty of case fans.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 3:01:51 AM

Load up gpu-z and in the second tab check down at the bottom "continue refreshing this screen while gpu-z is in the background" then play for a short time any game and then quit to check your temp. You can try any other program to check temps ect that you like. This sounds like a thermal problem that is affecting your card. Possible vram issue due to heat. Current GTX,GTS,5xx0 gen cards are poorly cooled in certain aspects such as vram or vrm. If one gets to hot and stays like that for to long it can degrade the bonding and slowly over time brick the card.

So turn up your fanspeed to see if it helps. Do you get red dots on start up? By the way its called artifacting. Dots and lines are usually bad vram and whole screen errors that make the image entirely non viewable are typically core ware you can't make any thing out on your monitor.
m
l
Related resources
October 18, 2010 10:08:38 AM

yup, even at desktop view i still see the red dots once they start appearing... i think my psu cn do the job... need help here, whats gpu-z? where do i dwnload it? and what temp is hot enough?
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:09:08 AM

yup, even at desktop view i still see the red dots once they start appearing... i think my psu cn do the job... need help here, whats gpu-z? where do i dwnload it? and what temp is hot enough?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 10:24:50 AM

Sounds like an overheating issue. and SC2 is already infamous for making cards overheat.

as nForce said, run GPUz and report temps to us.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

almost certainly going to find the card overheating during play.
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:33:16 AM

i worried if i play that sc2 again the red dots will start to show up then the only thing i know to make it disappear again is to format the system. so i'm guessing im gonna have to buy cpu cooler, need suggestion for any reliable cooler in the market pls.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 10:40:51 AM

No, the overheating will be of the GPU. not the CPU.

you need to force the problem to show itself if you wish to diagnose it. at the end fo the day, the card is unusable if you cant fix the problem. so if it breaks, you've lost nothing. but that's unlikely anyway, you should be able to confirm overheating as the issue and take steps to remedy it (custom fan profiles, aftermarket cooler, more case fans/better case)
m
l
October 18, 2010 8:59:45 PM

theblinker said:
i worried if i play that sc2 again the red dots will start to show up then the only thing i know to make it disappear again is to format the system. so i'm guessing im gonna have to buy cpu cooler, need suggestion for any reliable cooler in the market pls.

If I'm not mistaken that card may require a bios update. You can check this by verifying the number of shaders available. It should be 800.
m
l
October 19, 2010 8:28:51 AM

please teach me how to verify number of shaders..
m
l
October 19, 2010 10:07:59 AM

go to new egg type in saphire 5770 and look for vapor x model the newest version is the one there selling. If the numbers arent the same on yoUr card you have the older version wich may need a bios update. In wich then yo go to saphires website for the bios flash good luck. Also if the cards older that a year you got the older revision
m
l
October 20, 2010 12:58:57 AM

ok thanks! i've tested with some games but gpu tmp max is just at 63, but the red dots didn't show. i may need more time to test it like for straight 8 hours like i did before. once again thanks for all your help.
m
l
October 20, 2010 10:40:41 PM

i have verified bios and it's updated it showed 800. suddenly those red dots came to show, i can't really verify if it was due to overheating because i only had 71 deg max. i had my computer case stripped open to ensure circulation. i tried to format everything again only this time those dots are still there and i cant seem to get them off...
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 11:58:53 PM

The red dots are not are the result of the core and 71c isn't bad so I will say it once again it is the vram. When the vram reaches those temps it tends to degrade over time with each module acting differently. Your card is clearly defective and you should RMA.
m
l
October 22, 2010 1:32:32 AM

can i crossfire an hd 5770 vaporx with hd 5770?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 2:30:39 AM

Yes you can, they will automatically match clockspeeds and run the way you would expect.
m
l
!