Unable to Map Network Drive

I'm trying to map drives from my desktop PC (running Vista) on to my netbook (Win 7 Starter), but only the "public" folders from my desktop are displayed (i.e. I can't map / access other folders located on my desktop).

I reviewed the network share settings...but maybe I missed something?? Thanks all.
3 answers Last reply
More about unable network drive
  1. lordgamer said:
    I'm trying to map drives from my desktop PC (running Vista) on to my netbook (Win 7 Starter), but only the "public" folders from my desktop are displayed (i.e. I can't map / access other folders located on my desktop).

I reviewed the network share settings...but maybe I missed something?? Thanks all.

Does the Vista machine have a User Account password? There's a possibility W7 won't allow shares if it doesn't have one.

2. Thanks for your help. That wasn't the issue, but it caused me to double check, which lead me to the issue...

The drives were set not to be shared, a simple fix I overlooked. I just assumed that the drives were set to be shared by default.
  3. lordgamer said:
    Thanks for your help. That wasn't the issue, but it caused me to double check, which lead me to the issue...

The drives were set not to be shared, a simple fix I overlooked. I just assumed that the drives were set to be shared by default.

[#0005ff]Oh yes - very pedantic is W7. One file I wanted to share was eight stages down a path and I had to share every darned folder above it before it would show up. Glad you sorted it anyway.[/#000ff]
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops Windows Vista Network Drive Networking