Olympus D-340R Batteries polarity mistake

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 20, 2005 11:27:44 PM

Hi guys!
I own Olympus D-340R 1.3 Mpx for over 2 years now. Was always happy
with it untill recently made a mistake inserting fresh batteries-put
them in a wrong way, with wrong polarity... discovered mistake
immediately (Yeh, cam did not go "click" as usual...) camera is dead
since... Does anyone know if there is any RESET button or combination
of buttons that will revive camera?
I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
a fuse or some safety point.
Tech support suggested that I pack it and send to them for diagnostics
and repairs quote, which, I suspect, will be substantial.
Any shared experience will be appreciated.
Gen
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:58:13 AM

fidar@earthlink.net choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons
to spell out:

> Hi guys!
> I own Olympus D-340R 1.3 Mpx for over 2 years now. Was always happy
> with it untill recently made a mistake inserting fresh batteries-put
> them in a wrong way, with wrong polarity... discovered mistake
> immediately (Yeh, cam did not go "click" as usual...) camera is dead
> since... Does anyone know if there is any RESET button or combination
> of buttons that will revive camera?
> I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
> a fuse or some safety point.
> Tech support suggested that I pack it and send to them for diagnostics
> and repairs quote, which, I suspect, will be substantial.
> Any shared experience will be appreciated.

I'd say you were lucky... back in 2000 I had a fairly new C-2000Z in
which I reversed the batteries (these were NiMHs) when loading them in a
hurry. Things got very hot and the battery door came off; there was much
cursing and some smoke. I lucked out when Oly repaired the camera under
warranty.
Don't know any button-resets for the 340; it's quite possible that
there's physical damage in there though. I'm not sure I've ever seen a
digicam repair quote that was much under $150, which is the bad news...

--
__ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
(__ * _ _ _ _

>> I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
>> a fuse or some safety point.

The prophylactic would cost them maybe $.001.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/
January 21, 2005 3:25:52 AM

> >> I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
> >> a fuse or some safety point.
>
> The prophylactic would cost them maybe $.001.

The "prophylactic" in this case would be a simple diode, and the downside
of a diode is that there is a forward voltage drop of about 0.1 volt. It
doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with NiCads, where a pair
of them will be as low as 1.6 volts combined when nearly empty (and less
when under heavy draw, like a flash charging), every tenth of a volt counts,
and counts a LOT.

Of course, that being said, there's no reason for them not to put the
diode in there anyway. As for the cost, I can't imagine a suitable diode
costing more than a dime each when purchased in mass - probably a nickel or
less.

steve
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:52:03 AM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:25:52 -0700, Steve Wolfe wrote:

>> The prophylactic would cost them maybe $.001.
>
> The "prophylactic" in this case would be a simple diode, and the downside
> of a diode is that there is a forward voltage drop of about 0.1 volt. It
> doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with NiCads, where a pair
> of them will be as low as 1.6 volts combined when nearly empty (and less
> when under heavy draw, like a flash charging), every tenth of a volt counts,
> and counts a LOT.
>
> Of course, that being said, there's no reason for them not to put the
> diode in there anyway. As for the cost, I can't imagine a suitable diode
> costing more than a dime each when purchased in mass - probably a nickel or
> less.

Well, there probably _is_ a diode there. The design I speak of uses
a diode installed _backwards_ across the battery. Then, when the
batteries (or mis-selected wall wart) are connected wrong-way 'round,
the diode presents a short and takes out an in-line fuse -- or, if
they were really cheap, it burns open the printed circuit trace
back to the battery connections.

But, of course, this means a costly -- and often times, problematic --
trip to a "repair center" by the camera.

Jonesy
--
!