Will my setup be too hot for this case?

calbear4

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hi everyone!

I'm about to buy a case, but I'm wondering if this case is cause the computer to get too hot: Antec Solo (newegg link)

I know there aren't that many ventilation holes, like the Antec Nine Hundred, but I want a pretty quiet computer, and the Solo got better reviews than the Sonata.

My system:
Intel core i7 - 870
RAM 1600Mhz 4 GB (2x2)
Graphics cards: Radeon 5830
Harddrive: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
Powersupply: XFX 650 watt, 80+ bronze
mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156

I don't plan on ever overclocking, or crossfire/SLI. So will this case work? Also, for people with this case, do you think the components will fit. The sale for this on newegg ends tonite. =)

calbear4

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think I'd add a 120mm to the side, since I don't think I'll be able to. Maybe I can add the 92mm fans in the front. But without the extra 120mm, you think it'll be cool enough?

what happens to the computer if it gets too hot?

also, will this case fit my components?

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
The case should fit your components, but with an i7 and 5830 its gonna be a little toasty in there. You could probably do it with just adding the front 92MM fans but you will have to have them cranked up full blast when you are using the PC.

If your computer gets to hot, it runs the risk of over-heating, so it will just randomly shut off (or lock up) if it gets to hot. Now after a while you could even damage your components.

The case is nice and all, but its not really good for high-performance, high-heat components.

I would say see if you can find another case. The antec 300 is really good, and doesn't look that over the top either.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If you like the case, and you never OC anything, you will be fine. Antecs have decent airflow. However, as others have pointed out there are other offerings in the same price range that offer better cooling (more fan options).

This layout is similar to the Sonatas and I have one that runs way hotter than your planned rig and it has no issues.

Go with what you like and have fun!