Closed Solved

Hilarious Heatsink Issue

I built my computer in October 2010. I have an i5 760 installed. When I went about hooking up the heatsink to the CPU i thought that the installation was really weird. I remember installing heatsinks on pentium 4s years ago and the heatsink felt secure. The plastic pins that this thing used seemed like they didnt work. I however followed instructions and tugged on the cpu to ensure its attachment and it didnt come off.

Flash forward to last night. I was at my computer and I heard a thunk, I looked around didn't notice anything and then my computer shut down. I thought it was weird so I glanced around the comptuer and nothing. I turned it back on, it posts and then it shuts down. I look inside the case and my heatsink was sitting on my video card.

I reattached the heatsink to the CPU and turned on the computer and gamed for a few hours.

My question is this: Is it necessary for me to clean off the old heatsink compound (which was a pad that was applied at factory) and apply new stuff or is the old dried stuff ok?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hilarious heatsink issue
  1. Best answer
    You should ALWAYS apply new thermal compound anytime the heatsink is removed.
  2. depends on the age of the cpu compound with me and wether its a hardening type or stay soft type, but in the case of a pad type, yup, always scrape them off to go with the good stuff.
  3. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  4. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heatsinks Computers