I7 920 heat question.

Thunder Horse

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hi folks. I was running at around 55 Celsius without load and thought it was a bit hot. I had a Big Typhoon. I replaced it with a Noctua designed for the socket. Temps dropped slightly but I was still sitting in the 50's mostly so I reseated, cleaned up the wiring, reseated the heat sink and reapplied paste. I also turned my 2 side fans inward and put filters on them to lessen dust. I'm sitting in the late 40's now. I'm thinking about modding the top of the case with a 180 mm fan for exhaust. Anyone have other tips? Maybe voltage settings? I haven't oc'ed yet as I feel like I'm a little warm to do it. I should be idling late 30's right?

Solution
You have two 120mm side fans. Tons of cool air blowing on that lovely GTX 580.

SOOO, as you indicate no temp issues with the GPU...

BUT, the heat from the GPU will rise inside your case & your CPU cooler will just circulate hot air around the i7-920 which is leading to your higher temperatures....

Case choice is a very personal style thing but:

- any of the Cooler Master HAF series of cases will do nicely (I have my i7-950 in a HAF-X)
- any of the DF, LanBoy, or 900/1200 series will do
- the new Corsair 600 is nice too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139003

Thunder Horse

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I have an Azza. I have 2 80 mm fans and 2 120 mm fans. Also my noctua has a 160 mm fan. My ambient room temp is only around 22 celcius. My idle after being booted for a few hours is 48-50.

jb6684

Distinguished
I looked on NewEgg these Azza cases all look pretty decent but you mention adding a top fan & have two 80mm fans so, I assuming NONE of these are yours?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=azza+case&x=0&y=0

Knowing the exact model Azza case & which Noctua cooler would help confirm but does sound like your building up a lot of heat inside the case. What GPU(s) do you have as they are a major source of heat and it would be good to know what were dealing with for best recommendation....

My favorites would be the Cooler Master HAF series, the HAF-X being one of the best of that bunch.... (if you can't keep a CPU cool in a HAF then the CPUs broken...) Keeps anything cool and just about anything will fit in a HAF-X but without knowing what you have might be overkill...

Thunder Horse

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I have the Noctua NH-C12P SE14. Even when I had all fans except for rear as exhaust, the temps were higher than they are now. None of those Azzas are mine, but I have 2 120's on the side and the common 80's on the front and back. My GPU is an MSI Twin Frozr GTX 580, but it stays cooler than the cpu.

jb6684

Distinguished
Ah, an 80mm front intake and 80mm rear exhaust won't create much in the way of cool air flow thru. Get a new case. Keep your CPU cooler.

HERE IS WHY:

- Basically a good modern case should intake cool air low and in the front. (SB 120mm or larger) The air then passes over the hard disks keep them cool is very important (if they get too hot their life is shortened Tremendously (like instead of 3--5 years to only a year or 2....))
- some cases add a second front intake, but to fit 'em usually these are tower cases

- Then, since hot air rises out the back of the case high up on the back panel. (SB 120mm or larger)
- a bottom mount power supply improves the heat flow (especially if the PS intakes air thru the bottom of the case then immediately exhaust straight out the back of the case)
- a fan or two in the top panel of the case also improves things

NOTE: you MUST have at least 120mm fans (140mm would be better) in those front intake & rear exhaust positions)

All coolers depend on the air inside your case being cool to work well.
Noctura makes great coolers, very quiet. This model is fine, but doesn't Help flow air THRU the case since it's a down blower:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019&Tpk=NH-C12P%20SE14

This style will pull the cooler air up from the bottom of the case, then blow it straight into the rear exhaust fan & out the case: (I use this model on my i7-950)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014&cm_re=noctua_cpu_cooler-_-35-608-014-_-Product

jb6684

Distinguished
You have two 120mm side fans. Tons of cool air blowing on that lovely GTX 580.

SOOO, as you indicate no temp issues with the GPU...

BUT, the heat from the GPU will rise inside your case & your CPU cooler will just circulate hot air around the i7-920 which is leading to your higher temperatures....

Case choice is a very personal style thing but:

- any of the Cooler Master HAF series of cases will do nicely (I have my i7-950 in a HAF-X)
- any of the DF, LanBoy, or 900/1200 series will do
- the new Corsair 600 is nice too

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139003

Solution

Thunder Horse

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Alright, so I'm set up in a HAF X. Around 2% load I'm sitting around 42c. When load gets around 3-%, it eases up to 54 or so. Is this acceptable? I'm running standard frequency on the cpu and RAM is oc'ed to 1600. Also, I've read that the cpu is supposed to click when you seat it. I've not noticed this.

If the CPU is not seated properly it would not work properly, if the cooler is not installed properly then the CPU would run hot. I am suggesting again that your CPU might be bad and suggest RMA! With that cooler it is too warm even in a crappy case!

jb6684

Distinguished
Ok. First off, looks like you've dropped about 10C, nice for a case change......

Now, what CPU, what Frequency (I know you have a Noctua down draft cooler...). I need idle temp. And download & run Prime95 for at least 30 mins an report the CPU load temp. Use SpeedFan to report the load temp. NOTE: the CPU temp is the one that moves the most as Prime95 starts running, sometimes SpeedFan has the wrong label on the CPU temp)

oby20

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

maybe your chasis has less auxillliary fans, try upgrading your cpu case to a much higher end chasis that can install 4-6 auxilliary fans.
with a cpu cooler it should run 45c with no load, i think your cpu case has a bad ventilation thats why the cpu temp is still high.

jb6684

Distinguished
I run 30C (0.928volts) idle, jumps up to 50C (1.2volts) after a minute or two. And maxes out a 58C (1.2volts) after 1 hour Prime95. Then, this is important, Drops back down to 35C in less than a minute after Stopping Prime95.

This is on an i7-950 in a HAF-X case with a Noctua NH-U12P SE cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608014

Download and install GPU-Z to read your voltage on the CPU. Use Speedfan to monitor temps.

Your running this cooler: NH-C12P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608019

Debugging Further:
Is the fan connected directly to the power supply? (if it's connect to the motherboard, might not be running full speed)
Are you running it full speed ? (NONE of the supplied in-line resistors should be used)

Need you to check on the physical assembly of the Noctua cooler.

-OR, remove the CPU cooler and look at the Silicon Paste is it wavy & stippled? If its dead smooth, or only stippled on one place the cooler is NOT installed correctly...

-Best way I know, pull the motherboard out of the case. Look at the CPU cooler on edge to see if there is any gap allowing light to shine thru BETWEEN CPU & base of the cooler (if the mounting parts are mis-aligned

Thunder Horse

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

I have all fans connected to the motherboard for monitoring. Should they be connected to the PS instead?

jb6684

Distinguished
Ok, I found a review of your cooler vs the cooler I'm using Noctua NH-U12P SE cooler in Maximum PC. They also compare it to two other very nice coolers. They all perform about the same which is to say, VERY good......

If you running 97C in Prime95 you heat sink is NOT touching your CPU, period....
- it's Not the type of paste your using
- it's Not even if fans are running max speed
- it's No longer an issue with case ventilation
- it's Not that your running some crazy high OC voltage

I'm betting you could slip a playing card between your CPU and the base of the cooler.
- Need you to check on the physical assembly of the Noctua cooler.

-OR, remove the CPU cooler and look at the Silicon Paste is it wavy & stippled? If its dead smooth, or only stippled on one place the cooler is NOT installed correctly...

-Best way I know, pull the motherboard out of the case. Look at the CPU cooler on edge to see if there is any gap allowing light to shine thru BETWEEN CPU & base of the cooler (if the mounting parts are mis-aligned

Thunder Horse

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
You can tell the paste has had pressure appli Also when removing the cooler, it's stuck to the cpu with the paste. I don't think I've ran prime since putting everything in the HAF X. I'll give it a shot