Help me choose a motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Hard Drives
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
November 15, 2011 12:18:04 AM

Hi,

I'm wanting to upgrade my motherboard but there are so many new and different motherboards I'm having a hard time trying to find one for me.

My current motherboard is an Asus M2V-MX SE with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 4500+

I like Asus motherboards with an AMD CPU although I'd be willing to try Intel once again. I'm also willing to try a different MB brand.

I want USB 3.0 bus ports.

I also need one with IDE slots for my internal hard drives and DVR.

Currently I have two external hard drives (WD MyBook 1.5 TB) and both support USB 3.0. I have 2 internal IDE hard drives (40 GB and 150 GB). I am having a hard time finding one with IDE slots. I'm thinking that I'll have to copy my data over to the newer hard drives and ditch the IDE completely, but my C drive is currently the 40 GB drive. Isn't there a way to mirror it over? Operating system is Windows XP. I'd upgrade but have quite a few programs I purchased over the web and downloaded (don't have discs for them) and I'm not sure if they'll port over to Vista.

I use my computer primarily for photos and videos. I'm not a gamer but appreciate quality graphics.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I don't need to go ultra cheap either.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you have to offer.

More about : choose motherboard

November 15, 2011 3:25:57 PM

o1die said:
Here's one for amd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and one for socket 1155 Asus P8P67 version 3.1 for $149.99 at newegg. I use a lowly sempron 140, since I'm not a gamer. But if you want top performance, spend the extra money for the 2500K. I also recommend a sandforce ssd like this one: http://www.frys.com/product/6728115? .

Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of the SSD but after your suggestion did some research on it. (You can see I'm a little outdated on computer hardware.) What advantage does the SSD offer over an external hard drive via Sata or USB 3.0?
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 15, 2011 3:33:46 PM

Ssd's are fast and quiet. My windows password screen loads in about fifteen seconds; windows installs in about 15 minutes (not counting the security updates). I like the quiet; there's no hardrive chatter with windows 7 programs running in the background.
m
l
!