ncfitzge

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Morning all!

New to the forum and was looking for advice and tips. This is going to be my 4th computer build and I understand most of the basics. This rig is going to be used for DVR, gaming and learning to OC. Here are the components I have chosen:

MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel i7 950
GPU: EVGA GTX 470
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB stick) w/fan
CASE: Corsair 800D
PWR: Corsair 1000HX
SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB SATA3 (system drive)
HDD: What ever is in my current machine (data drive)

Right now, I'm trying to decide on HS and fans (for HS and Case). I'm interested in putting in the Megahalems RV.B heatsink and do a push/pull configuration on the fans. Has anyone done this configuration with the HS and RAM placement? I'm afraid that there will not be enough room between the CPU and RAM for the HS fan and RAM (memory and fan).

Also, what fans would you suggestion for the case and heatsink?

Thanks!

Fitz

^ Learning to overclock right? Then IMO the ASUS Rampage III Formula would be a better option as it is also a very good overclocker and I doubt you would able to differentiate between the 2 boards if you wont overclock extreme,...

PSU - Are you planning to Tri-SLI with the GTX 470? If Yes, then stick with that 1KW, else if max 2way S:I, then I would suggest the Corsair AX850 - 80+ Gold, has about 70A on the 12V rail,...

Cooling - If you are worried about the cooler fitting with the RAM fan, then check out the Corsair H50, with 1 more fan(Scythe S-Flex SFF21G - higher rpm ones and would be very good as case fans too, Noctua NF-P12 - odd color, but excellent performer) in Push-Pull config would perform well(though might not be as good as the Mega, but can easily reach 4GHz without any issues)