Sign in with
Your question

LGA 2011?

Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2011 6:53:19 PM

Saw the article on the Z68 chipset this morning and for a brief bit, thought it was a preview of X68... Anyways, I hadn't heard anything regarding the replacement for LGA 1366 for quite a while and didn't have much luck looking for articles. Anyways, other than the release of the $1000 six-core CPU and some incremental clock increases, there really hasn't been any change to the initial batch of LGA 1366 processors, so I'm curious about what the next generation will entail, hoping someone can point me towards a good source...

More about : lga 2011

March 10, 2011 7:19:06 PM

I have my own question about the LGA 2011 boards for Q3 of 2011. I was told it was to be a server board and not a desktop mb for gaming is this true? I'm pretty sure its just going to replace the 1336 boards and be the new up to date gaming tech or is it really a server based socket?

I'm going to be building a new rig and was going to use Sandybridge but since i wont start to build and buy all the parts until the start of Fall 2011 (Q3) i may as well wait and do a LGA 2011 build.
March 10, 2011 7:24:37 PM

One thing is for sure the new boards will start using 8 core and up processors but only a multimedia user will need that much horsepower. Games are just starting to utilize 4 core CPUs better so a 6 core would be a good choice on the next socket so that you can keep it around long enough for when games will begin to use 6 cores which wont be for a while i bet
Related resources
March 10, 2011 8:00:36 PM

BlazenDemon said:
One thing is for sure the new boards will start using 8 core and up processors but only a multimedia user will need that much horsepower. Games are just starting to utilize 4 core CPUs better so a 6 core would be a good choice on the next socket so that you can keep it around long enough for when games will begin to use 6 cores which wont be for a while i bet

While this is true for now, developers KNOW that processors will continue to have more and more cores, so i think we'll eventually see games being coded to take advantage of additional cores automatically, so that they could theoretically utilize dozens of cores. I know there's all sorts of issues with race conditions and such, but I would say that, already, the majority of AAA game titles do a fair job of utilizing 4 cores already, and there are several Tom's articles to back me up. Plus, the 8 threads in my 950 make a HUGE difference in multitasking, so 8 cores would also appeal to any who likes doing lots of things at once, not just multimedia users.
March 10, 2011 9:33:10 PM

So will LGA 2011 be desktop processors or server processors? Is my main question.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 12:19:15 AM

From what I have read they are not going to come out with the 1365 Which was to be the direct replacement for the 1366.
Supposedly the 2011 will be the high end board that replaces the 1366 and have a server variant. No one but Intel really knows for sure though.
One of the features touted has been the quad channel memory.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 12:24:45 AM

Havent checked this topic in a while but LGA 2011 last i heard was gonna take the crown from the 990x, as a desktop ultra high end sandy bridge solution with the north bridge completely integrated in the cpu, octocore and up, bulldozer should be same level as i7, and 2011 will destroy i7 so it will destroy bulldozer wich taps out at 8 cores, sorry, four bulldozer "modules"
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 12:32:42 AM

I really think the 990x was pushed out to extend the life of the 1366 chipset and sell a few more to people who were on the fence about waiting for 1365 and 2011.
This keeps their revinue up till they release Z68 and get closer to 2011 release.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 12:53:20 AM

Ya wasn't it like 20 lanes?
March 11, 2011 6:41:18 AM

I am a little confused. The 2500K and 2600K already beat the I-7 990X in almost every benchmark when they are overclocked and they overclock very easily. So I do not see why anyone would spend 3-4 times the money for a cpu that is already outdated (exceptionally heavy multitasking excepted).

Are you speculating that the lga2011 will have multiple cpus in it? If so will it be twice the price of the K series chips? I have heard that the new update will enable 3 PCI-E 16x16 lanes.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 10:21:08 AM

Check this [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture) ] . At the middle of the page it says on the chart LGA 2011 will have a `high-end desktop`and server version. Also it says thay will be released in Q4 2011, not Q3 :/ 
March 11, 2011 10:47:18 AM

There are at least two more sockets coming for Sandy Bridge processors.

Socket R - LGA 2011
This will replace LGA 1366. It is quite modular in that it supports 1-4 processors and will form the core of Intel's server line as well as being aimed at the enthusiast. Four memory controllers per CPU at speeds of up to 1600MHz provide quad-channel memory and 40 PCI-Express 3.0 lanes. I assume this will use the Core i7 brand, I don't know what id codes they will use. On the server side it will be Xeon E5-1600, E5-2600 and E5-4600 (for single, dual and multi processor options).

Socket B2 - LGA 1355
As enthusiasts you can ignore this pretty much. It seems likely it'll only be for entry level dual-processor servers. It is like Socket R except with three memory controllers, so triple channel memory performance, and only 24 PCI-Express 3.0 lanes.

As for the processor clocks and core counts, well you will see more than there is now, but no details have come out other than up to 8 core. 3GHz+ 6-core processors or 3.5GHz+ quad-core processors for $300 seems likely.
March 12, 2011 7:09:46 AM

Quote:
but when the benchmarks were run on applications the x58 chipset was intended like CS5 anything on the x58 chipset beat the 2600k.
http://ppbm5.com/Benchmark5.html

Yes I did look at that chart but notice on the chart that the 2600K is only overclocked to 4.0 GHZ not the very possilbe 5.0 GHZ that can be achieved with air cooling.

Read this article on Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-990x-extrem...

It shows that the 2600K when even moderately overclocked beats the 990 I-7 in most real-world benchmarks. The one exception would be if you are a heavy multi-tasker running software that utilizes the six cores and hyper threading of the 990. Even then, the 2500k and 2600K give the 990 a run for its money.

Even overclocked at only 4.0 GHZ on the chart you site, there is not a tremendous separation between the I-7 980 and the 2600K benchmarks. When you consider there is a $700.00 price difference, there really isn't much to think about.
March 12, 2011 7:38:17 AM

oc_mania said:
Check this [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture) ] . At the middle of the page it says on the chart LGA 2011 will have a `high-end desktop`and server version. Also it says thay will be released in Q4 2011, not Q3 :/ 

Thanks that is a great source and it explains everything in a clear manner. The spreadsheets are very good and parsing the the different Intel products and their function.

It appears that Ivy is going to kick butt when it comes out, but I wonder what the cpus will cost.
!