Data corruption

Kanahpoo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi,

I recently bought new hardware to build a new pc:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H67 (standard version, revision B3 – so the one with corrected chipset)
CPU: Core i5-2500K (with standard cooler)
RAM: Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1333 (CMX8GX3M2A1333C9)
GPU: ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII (standard overclocked 900Mhz)
Bootdisk: SSD OCZ Solid3 120 GB
PS: Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2
(Antec Three Hundred + 2 extra fans)
( 4 old SATA HDD)
(old IDE DVD-drive)

From day 1 random data corruption occurred (on at least 3 of the 4 HDD I use)
• Fails during installation of new programs/tools/games
• Bluescreens, even once during (one of the many) installs of windows 7 - 64bit
• CRC fails in (new) winrar archives
• Corrupted (new) mediafiles

This is a quick recap of most of the things I checked or did to try fixing the problem:
(paired with a fresh install windows most of the times)
• RAM is compatible with MB
• Memtest86 ran for 9.17h and passed
• Latest version of Intel Rapid Storage driver (v10.8.0.1003)
• No newer chipset or LAN drivers available online
• Updated the SSD firmware 2.06 to the latest version 2.15
• Error-scan with HD tune
• Changed SATA cables (both the ssd connected to the 6.0Gb as well as the 4 hdd’s connected wih the 3.0Gb)
• Updated BIOS from stock version 1004 to version 1401

Although there seems to be a slight improvement after the BIOS-update, data corruption still occurs from time to time. Not constantly of course, which makes the trial & error a rather time consuming occupation (3 weeks so far), but it happens enough to have me worried.
After going through the forums I now try to determine whether the data corruption occurs due to a conflict in hardware (because I read that the above components might not be the best hardware combination)
or rather due to a broken component, most likely the motherboard? (but being revision B3 I suppose I don’t have to focus too much on the known P67/H67design error that was discovered earlier this year?)

Anyone who perhaps can push me in the right direction?
Or do I need to give additional information?

Thank you in advance,
Kanahpoo

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Have you tried disassembling the entire system and rebuilding it. You may have a short somewhere that is causing the intermittant failures. Also, try breadboarding it (build outside of the case).

Kanahpoo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Haven't tried to reassemble it so far, might give it a try.
Breadbording is really going to be my last option i guess, seeing that i haven't found a way to simulate the problem.

It might indeed be a short. But that might not explain why after the bios update the problem only occured twice: one CRC fail in an archive and one small glitch in a media file, so no bluescreens so far (but then again, that might just be luck)