PSU too small?

dugie77

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hello,
I have been having really bad freezing issues on my computer and i just put in a new CPU, MOBO, and RAM and it got worse! its a 600 watt NZXT. I have a Radeon HD 5770 1 gb graphics card, MSI P67A-GD65 mobo, Intel i7 2600k 3.4 ghz, and 2 4gb vengence corsair RAM. Is it my PSU or maybe something else?

Solution
Also in addition to ^
You do not need to reinstall vista to install Window 7, even if your windows 7 is an upgrade version.

In fact I recommend not reinistalling Vista and then installing win 7.
Method for using upgrade win7 and doing a "Fresh Install" with out previous operating system installed.
Select CUSTOM install. Complete install. DO NOT enter windows 7 Key when prompted for it.
When install is competed:
- Allow win 7 to download all updates. (Note you will have upto 30 days to activate - imput Key when you activate.
- When all updates have been perform the next two steps:
Ref: In the link sroll down to "Method #2.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx...
my money is on the psu since you have swapped pretty much everything. Its not too small, as you put it, just may be faulty.. Are your freezing issues just random? when playing games? Could be bad sectors on your hard drive. Run the manufacturers disk diagnostic tool which can be downloaded for free from their site to check for errors.

You can go to a local PC parts place and get a power supply tester for 10 bucks. This will show you if your PSU is providing correct voltages to your system. Likewise, some motherboards in BIOS allow you to see this information as well, but on yours, I am not sure.

It is unlikely that your HDD would cause lock ups without other big issues and everything else has been swapped out. So, your either looking at a component mismatch, I E, bad or incorrect settings on your ram (which will cause random issues) or a PSU voltage supply issue. I'd go for the tester and double check your ram settings.

dugie77

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
took my graphics card out and put it in a friends computer and it ran a movies for about 3 hrs without a freeze so its not that. That leaves the voltages and my harddrive correct?

dugie77

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
no i didn't reinstall windows i didn't know i had to.. but my new dvd drive comes today so i was going to because a friend told me to reinstall just to see if it helps

That could have been either the same issue, or your Hardware. By upgrading your components you have changed the equation. (ie your problem in the OLD system may have been related to your PSU which you changed out, or a problem with temps which have been affected by replacing the CPU or it could also have been a driver issue - However changing the MB, without reinstalling would have made this even worse. With out knowing before and after voltages and temps, this is hard to answer definatively.

dugie77

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
if the voltages aree off what do i do? and i downloaded them both and CPUID has +3.3 V, CPU VCORE, VIN2, VIN3, +5V, +12V, VIN6, VSB3V, and VBAT under voltages, which are my RAM?

are you running windows 7 64bit? have you turned hpet mode on in bios and set it to 64bit. if you dont set it and you are using vista or win7 you will get random crashes, lockups and bsods.
set to 32 for 32bit o.s. and 64 for 64bit o.s.
good luck.
also if you have a weak component, c1 halt state will show this up when your computer idles and lowers its speeds and volts. if a part cant keep up it will cause a lockup and if your mobo has an led it will show c1 on it.
so after you check hpet and if that doesnt sort it, try turning off c1 halt and see if that works. that way you will at least know if its hardware or software based error.

Also in addition to ^
You do not need to reinstall vista to install Window 7, even if your windows 7 is an upgrade version.

In fact I recommend not reinistalling Vista and then installing win 7.
Method for using upgrade win7 and doing a "Fresh Install" with out previous operating system installed.
Select CUSTOM install. Complete install. DO NOT enter windows 7 Key when prompted for it.
When install is competed:
- Allow win 7 to download all updates. (Note you will have upto 30 days to activate - imput Key when you activate.
- When all updates have been perform the next two steps:
Ref: In the link sroll down to "Method #2.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

Condensed version of link:
(1) from start menu - type regedit.
Simple way to find location to change - under edit Do a search for "MediaBootInstall" with out quotes. On right side double click it and change the "0" to a "1" then exit/close - There is no save, it does it automaticlly.
(2) From start menu - type cmd
In the dos window enter slmgr /rearm and hit enter.

Wallo, you can now activate using your key.

Solution
You should alway have a backup of data and files that you create.
Also reson for maltipue partitions - Operating system and programs on drive C - all your data on D.

Any ways I thoug you already tried to install vista (clean installation) then Win 7 upgrade which should have deleted your files.

dugie77

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
i did it on my 2nd hd after switching all my files over. but i went back to my full HD and after messing around with those BIOS things you two mentioned then only doing the second part of the above thing, the 0 to a 1 and all that, i haven't had a freeze in hours and that hasn't ever happened! I think it's fixed!! THANKS!!!!