Building the smallest media centre possible

Hi all,

Haven't had any experience with ITX/Micro ATX before, but I've built several machines in the past. Looking for some advice if you'd all be so kind :)

So I already have an ATI 5570 (Low profile) card sitting around. I've also got a spare core 2 duo sitting at 2.8 GHZ that I'd like to use.

Other than that, I'm willing to pick up just about anything. What I'd like is the following:

- Smallest form factor possible (this is for a media centre, with some gaming)
- Must have at least one extra PCI-e 1x slot for another low profile card I have (an e-sata port multiplier, for an external hard drive bay I have)
- Must have gigabit networking
- Must support the video card, and processor. If the mobo supports i5/i7's as well, that'd be awesome.

That's it. I'm mostly looking for advice on how to choose a case, power supply, mobo and cooling. Any and all advice is much appreciated! I'm not even sure what "low profile" means. Can I use ITX for this?

1 answer Last reply
More about building smallest media centre possible
  1. Got the chance to do some research since my last post.

I'm thinking of putting the core2, video card, and some spare RAM (DDR2) on this little guy:

I could really use some advice on the case/power supply though, as I still haven't found a clear definition of what "low profile" means. This seem to be smallest, while still micro-ATX compatible:

Does anyone have any suggestions via the case? I'm not sure I can trust either of the power supplies to put out the power I need to power the processor and video card I have.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems