Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer crashes, no help from seller...

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2010 1:01:14 AM

Hi guys

I've been looking for an answer in this forum, but haven't found anything directly related to my problem.

Here it is. I just bought this system from a seller in Ontario, Canada :

- CPU : Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
- Overclocked to: Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.8GHz CPU
- Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
- Motherboard Gigabyte Intel H55 Motherboard (GA-H55M-USB3)
Memory Kingston 8GB(2X4GB) DDR3 1333 CL9
- Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II
- Optical Drive LG 22X DVD RW - Dual Layer, SATA
- Video ATI Radeon HD5770 PCI-E 1G DDR5, 128bit, DVI-I, HDMI, D-Sub, HDTV, PCI-E 2.0
- Audio High Quality Multiple channel audio on board Network Gigabit LAN controllers
- Power Supply Quality Quiet 550 Watt ATX Power Supply w/Large Fan
- Case Antec Case DF-10 Dark Fleet Gamer ATX Mid Tower
- Card Readers All in 1 Memory Card Reader
- Windows OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (Installed, Disc/License)

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to hardware, but I've been told it was a good enough system.

Problem is, the computer crashes very often. Since it's new, my guess is it's not windows related, but hardware related.

So I was wondering, is the system somehow over-heating, is there any hardware compatibility problems?

I must say although it sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, it does crash everytime I try to watch full online video on fullscreen mode. So I deleted adobe flash player and stopped watching vids with this computer. But it still crashes for some random reasons, like when I'm right-clicking on a link...

That being said, I'm a musician and it never crashed while using my music software (Ableton live), and I can watch movies full screen with VLC without any problems...

So I don't have a clue right know, and since the seller isn't returning my mail or call, I ask you for help... where's the problem?

Thanks a lot!

More about : computer crashes seller

Best solution

December 15, 2010 3:34:51 AM

Was this a private sale or online vendor?

Looking at the specs it might couple possiblities:

A quick search (that takes only seconds); revealed that your video card requires at least a 450 watt PSU running stock speeds.
OC it & it will need more, leaving you with little head room.

I'm not much of an overclocking fan, but to take a CPU a full 1.0 Ghtz higher does require a bit more juice & cool air to run.
A larger fan still won't help a quiet crappy PSU.

There maybe a problem with the board see the link below.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It looks like this board didn't do too well. Allot of people complained about it on New Eggs page....

DomL said:
Hi guys

I've been looking for an answer in this forum, but haven't found anything directly related to my problem.

Here it is. I just bought this system from a seller in Ontario, Canada :

- CPU : Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
- Overclocked to: Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.8GHz CPU
- Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
- Motherboard Gigabyte Intel H55 Motherboard (GA-H55M-USB3)
Memory Kingston 8GB(2X4GB) DDR3 1333 CL9
- Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II
- Optical Drive LG 22X DVD RW - Dual Layer, SATA
- Video ATI Radeon HD5770 PCI-E 1G DDR5, 128bit, DVI-I, HDMI, D-Sub, HDTV, PCI-E 2.0
- Audio High Quality Multiple channel audio on board Network Gigabit LAN controllers
- Power Supply Quality Quiet 550 Watt ATX Power Supply w/Large Fan
- Case Antec Case DF-10 Dark Fleet Gamer ATX Mid Tower
- Card Readers All in 1 Memory Card Reader
- Windows OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (Installed, Disc/License)

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to hardware, but I've been told it was a good enough system.

Problem is, the computer crashes very often. Since it's new, my guess is it's not windows related, but hardware related.

So I was wondering, is the system somehow over-heating, is there any hardware compatibility problems?

I must say although it sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, it does crash everytime I try to watch full online video on fullscreen mode. So I deleted adobe flash player and stopped watching vids with this computer. But it still crashes for some random reasons, like when I'm right-clicking on a link...

That being said, I'm a musician and it never crashed while using my music software (Ableton live), and I can watch movies full screen with VLC without any problems...

So I don't have a clue right know, and since the seller isn't returning my mail or call, I ask you for help... where's the problem?

Thanks a lot!

December 15, 2010 1:15:04 PM

Thanks for your reply JD13

Online vendor.

Indeed, seems like this system wasn't made for OC at all. But it came as a "special offer" and presented as a safe way to upgrade the system for free, so I took.

But I don't really need it. I'm not into gaming at all, I'm into video and music edition.

I guess there's a way to undo OC, to reset the CPU to it's original config.

Guess it would be the easy solution. What do you think?

JD13 said:
Was this a private sale or online vendor?

Looking at the specs it might couple possiblities:

A quick search (that takes only seconds); revealed that your video card requires at least a 450 watt PSU running stock speeds.
OC it & it will need more, leaving you with little head room.

I'm not much of an overclocking fan, but to take a CPU a full 1.0 Ghtz higher does require a bit more juice & cool air to run.
A larger fan still won't help a quiet crappy PSU.

There maybe a problem with the board see the link below.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It looks like this board didn't do too well. Allot of people complained about it on New Eggs page....

m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2010 6:27:01 PM

It is undo able as long as you can get into bios. Some computer makers disable bios options (such as Dell).
m
l
December 15, 2010 6:31:41 PM

JD13 said:
It is undo able as long as you can get into bios. Some computer makers disable bios options (such as Dell).

However it is a Mainstream Gigabyte motherboard so he should be able to, just pres delete when you startup and reset the CPU configuration (bus speed, voltage) to auto. You may have to tweak some other settings, alternativly you can go into the BIOS and restore factory defaults. If you cant get into the BIOS remove the CMOS battery and put it back in it will restore the default settings.

If it still crashes you may want to run Memtest 86+ to check for RAM errors but it probably wont come to that.
m
l
December 15, 2010 9:25:17 PM

I'll try this. Thanks to both of you guys for your help, very appreciated.
m
l
December 15, 2010 9:29:02 PM

Do you get a blue screen when it crashes?

It sounds to me like the votage is a bit low.
m
l
December 15, 2010 10:09:53 PM

jaguarmatt said:
Do you get a blue screen when it crashes?

It sounds to me like the votage is a bit low.

No. No blue screen at all. It just freezes and turn off after 2-3 seconds.

Low voltage? Well there you lost me completely! How can I know if the voltage is low or not?
m
l
December 15, 2010 10:38:17 PM

He is suggesting that the CPU voltage may be to low to handle the overlock. You can check the voltage in the BIOS settings. I would not suggest changing this setting if you are unfamiler with it, as you can fry your processor. Just go into the BIOS and restore factory defaults. You may need to switch the boot order after you do that.
m
l
December 15, 2010 10:47:57 PM

If the system was pre-assembled prior to shipment you should power off and reseat all components. Also, check all power connections. Very common to have connection issues after shipment.
m
l
December 15, 2010 11:08:24 PM

jockey said:
If the system was pre-assembled prior to shipment you should power off and reseat all components. Also, check all power connections. Very common to have connection issues after shipment.

^Good call. When i got my first computer from ibuypower the IDE cable was half unplugged..
m
l
December 15, 2010 11:55:37 PM

Another possibility is; that the second MB power connector might not be plugged in properly.
My Asus MB had half of it covered up ( 4 pin or 8 pin option) & also had an option in bios for full power / power user settings.
Check you video card as it might also require a second power connector.
m
l
December 16, 2010 12:04:09 AM

Well, I checked all the connections and everything was all right.

So I restored the factory default, and it now works like a charm.

Thank you all for your help, I did learn a lot and I might eventually try to overclock it myself, and if I do so, I'll make sure to get in touch with you again!

But for now, I'll just enjoy my new computer as it is! Thanks again!
m
l
December 16, 2010 3:15:10 AM

That's good news. Happy "puting" and Happy Holidays.
m
l
December 22, 2010 11:05:41 PM

Best answer selected by DomL.
m
l
!