My laptops graphics card !

testinglife

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Hey so this is my question. My Dell XPS M1530 laptop started acting all wonky and randomly shut down out of no where. So I did a little research and found out the graphics card in this model was faulty and they were doing a free recall and extending waranty on these for an extra 12 months. So i sent it in and got it back to find out from the service report that they " replaced the system board" which i take is the mother board, but there is nothing checked beside changed graphics card. So i called dell and they told me that all laptop graphics cards are integrated, so that if the mother board was replaced then the graphics gard was also replaced.

Now I have only really worked inside of DESKTOP computers so to me integrated cards are integrated on the mother board and better than integrated cards are added afterwards. Is this not the case with laptops ? I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600 M GT installed in the laptop, which is not the ones called "Integrated blahblah or Accelerator Blahblah" its a realy graphics card. But is it true to replace a graphics card in a laptop you need to replace the whole motherboard ? and vice versa (replacing the mother board replaces the graphics card)

I really need some help understanding this, because if it doesn't mean a new graphics card I will be calling them and demanding that because the graphics card is what caused all the faults in the first place.

Thanks for the help in advanced !! sorry about all the rambling lol