Memory latency problem

wkhalifa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hi. Due to my very low budget im using transcend ddr3-1333 CL9 ram and when i was overclocking my cpu i noticed that my current ram speed is 400mhz and afaik it should around 667. so i went to bios and oced to 669mhz. however in cpuz ram chart says my ram should be 9-9-9-24 and my current values are 9-12-12-30 so im wondering if this is ok and should i change latencies to 9-9-9-24?

thanks

It's ok for the motherboard to use different timings when running the ram in manual mode. Check the ram voltage and see how close it is to the specs for your ram. It should be in the hardware monitor section of the bios. If needed, adjust the voltage slightly in manual mode and see if the timings change. The maximum voltage for desktop ram is 1.65, but some run better close to 1.5 volts.

When overclocking the CPU, your RAM timings can get messed up since they share the Common Clock. The worst case scenario is that the RAM is overclocked beyond it's intended use and it causes instability or crashing.

The timings are DIFFERENT if your RAM values are different. If you deviate from a default profile things will change.

The bottom line is that your RAM will not be a bottleneck in your system ever so leave it alone; it may be slightly slower but at 1333MHz it's no big deal. Stability is more important than speed, especially when you can't make use of that speed.

Your bottleneck will either be the CPU (transcoding video or anti-virus scanning) or Graphics card (gaming), or hard drive (loading programs into RAM), but not your RAM.