Help needed. 27" monitor and AMD system

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Hi guys! I'm new here and it's my first thread. Please, don't be harsh on me.

I've been planning to get a new PC and a monitor. So far I am using fujitsu-siemens amilo pro v2060 laptop but it's time to get something better. I need help with my new monitor and the build as well.

The idea is that I need to combine a monitor with a TV (I will be using coaxial cable. ) Don't want to use a TVcard because in order to watch TV my PC has to be turned on.

Budget: around $400 for the monitor, $650 for the build.

For the monitors/TV Samsung p2770HD seems the best solution. It is a completely functional TV (computer doesnt have to be on) and meanwhile according to the reviews it's a good monitor. I was wondering if it is a good choice ? Maybe I can get >27" TV for the same amount of $$$ and use it as a monitor as well? Will this samsung monitor be a better monitor than using a fullHD TV as a monitor? If there is no difference I might go for some 32" TV and use it as a monitor.

A Those are the components which have been chosen for the build

AMD PHENOM II X6 1055T
KINGSTON 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHZ, CL9, KIT OF 2
SAMSUNG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB SPINPOINT F3
CORSAIR 60GB, SATA II, FORCE SERIES
OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2, 500W, 12CM FAN

I will not be playing games (at least I don't intend to do it. However, just in case would be great if the new build is capable to run some new games on medium resolution)
I would highly appreciate if somebody could tell me which motherboard do I have to chose for this build? Will it be enough with integrated video or do I have to buy VGA separately ? Please, need advice with the motherboard and VGA for this new setup.

Thank you, guys, in advance! I appreciate your help!

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: around December 20

Budget Range: around $400 for monitor/TV, $around $650 for the build

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing the internet, watching HD movies. I know that basically I don't need a very good PC. However I want it fast for next 2-3 years.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: well.. I wish I could buy it from neweeg but no international shipping. In Estonia all the parts are around %10-15 more expensive than in newegg. But you can show me the parts from newegg

Country of Origin: Estonia

Parts Preferences: AMD base system should be better for the performance per dolar.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200

SSD disk will be for the OS and 1TB for all the stuff (mainly movies and pictures).
X6 most likely will not be used to the fullest at the moment however want the CPU to be with some spare resource

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Unfortunately, I can't edit my post, no nobody likes double posts. I am also available to consider X4 CPU choice. Seems like batuchka is right and there is no need for x6

for your needs, you probly don't *really* need more than a dual core:

Check this out:

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/web-pc/

I'd suggest going with a quad Athlon II for $99 rather than the athlon II X2 for $58, and an 880 Motherboard over the older 740 chipset ($75 rather than $49), which is still around $300 base

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing the internet, watching HD movies. I know that basically I don't need a very good PC. However I want it fast for next 2-3 years.

Basic template

Regor X2 - Rana X3
785G no need SATA/USB 3.0 else 880G/SB850
2-4GB DDR3
80+ 300-450W PSU

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Thank you guys for all your help. As to the monitor I really need it to be compatible with cable TV. I need it to be 2in1 like samsung p2770hd
I don't want to use usb tv stick or tv card because I can't watch tv without starting the computer.
For the build I still think I have to get a good CPU and mobo.. Can you guys suggest me the best mobo with integrated GPU which goes with AMD PHENOM II X4 955 BLACK EDITION ?
All other components I will get by myslef and they are easier to ugrade.. I will get 4Gb DDR3 RAM and SAMSUNG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB SPINPOINT F3
Within some 4-6 month I will get gfx card as well. I want to start learning photoshop and will need it.
Please, help me with the CPU and mobo, please.

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
AMD PHENOM II X4 955 BLACK EDITION
KINGSTON 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHZ, CL9, KIT OF 2
SAMSUNG 1TB 7200RPM 32MB SPINPOINT F3
MSI 890GXM-G65
OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2, 500W, 12CM FAN
CORSAIR 60GB, SATA II, FORCE SERIES
PLANET PN-4000, ATX, BLACK

what's your opinion regarding the mobo? Is the price/performance good enough or should I be looking for something else?

I would look at 8/8 CFable mATX MSI 890GXM for a high octane LAN party box not for your uses @@ In fact a potential client is keen on a HD 6950CF capable little monster with that mobo come x'mas :p

For your needs am am assuming you like USB/SATA 3.0 option have a look at

Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H
Asus M4A88TD-M/USB3
MSI 880GMA-E45

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

The reason why I want to get in my hands something way more faster than i really need is because I'm really fed up with my amilo pro. Have been using it for 5 years :) Since I started the university
Edit:
Thank you! I wll take one of those you recommended. Everything seems to be set. Just let me ask you one more thing.
How do you think, will that integrated video be enough for my needs? I'll take that 27" samsung monitor and I truly hope that the whole machine will be really fast. Maybe it's a silly question but have never believed in integrated video :) in the future if there is a need I will put a proper gfx card

And do I need a CPU cooler ? For this build
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/300402-13-budget-gaming-questions
you advised to take xigmatek hdt sd964 cpu cooler
Do I need it as well ?

It does not matter what size a display is : 780G was fine in 2008 for 1920 x 1080 resolution and the IGP on these 880G are a tad better so no worries ^^ Of course once gaming is on the table hit a discrete. You are welcomed

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Thank you guys! I appreciate your help
Can you also, please, suggest me a case? I dont like those ones with 3 huge fans and with a lot of leds.. Leds can be there however it should look decent, prefferably quiet and up to some $70

smukais

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
batchuka, you didn't get me right. I said that I don't like those cases with 3 and more huge fans. They are really loud and usually not even necessary to have 3 or more fans..
In USA all this tech stuff is cheaper.. If you can get build a PC for some $500 I will have to pay at least $600
Is there a easy way how can I tell that the case will suit all the components? If there is, I will be able to browse the web and find what I axactly like..
I've been checking on those ones
Compucase 66RCBB-E, Midi, Black
InWin BM639, mITX, Black/Silver
Giga Byte POSEIDON 310, Black
Antec P180, White mATX Silent (my favorite. Will it suit all the components?)
Nexus Version1 Silent System PC Case

cases are very much an aesthetic choice. IMHO at least 2 120mm fans is a minimal requirement (1 back, and 1 front) or optionally 3 fans (adding either top or side).

I'd stick with any case you really like with at least 2 fans.