Sign in with
Your question

2nd hand 4870x2 crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 19, 2010 1:32:07 AM

Hi I just wanted to ask something about this crossfire bussiness.

I allready own a sapphire 4870x2 and I just bought another identical sapphire 4870x2 to use it via crossfire but before I actually connect the second card wanted to be sure of something. I have 2 major questions

1- The card i allready have had a bios problem when i updated the catalyst drivers which sapphire couldnt fix so on the forums here i found a asus radeon 4870x2 bios that worked great for my sapphire card, so now even though having 2 sapphire 4870x2's their bios's wouldbe different , would that cause any problem? if yes then how would i be able to copy the asus bios to the second card i just bought ? because i cant remember how i did it via those special DOS based softwares

2- I have a quadcore system with 6gb ddr3 1066 memory and a zalman 800w psu would that be enough ? it says its crossfire and sli compatible so i assume it should be enough.

if you could help me with these topics id be more than grateful thank you
October 19, 2010 1:34:33 AM

Quad 4870s is going to take quite a bit of power, i would double check the load table on that zalman before going ahead with it, it might be close or it might have plenty of power, just double check to see what its combined 12V power is.

Their BIOS's being different shouldnt be a problem, people mix brands of graphics cards all the time and crossfire them without issue, what it really cares about is that the GPUs themselves match up right.
m
l
October 19, 2010 1:37:34 AM

thx for the fast reply hunter315, one more quick question then :) 

After I install the card and connect the crossfire adaptor would i need to do any adjustments with the drivers , or would it just work ok , the main reason i got the second card is to play games like fsx, arma2 series, battlefield badcompany 2 etc etc and some 3D creation maybe via autodesk maya
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2010 10:27:35 AM

btw did a mini research and noticed that some guys used a corsair 1000w psu with the quad gpu setting, would a corsair 1000w be enough for my needs ?
m
l
October 19, 2010 10:30:14 AM

All you'll need to do is just check the CF settings in the CCC. If it's on and if it shows everything is fine, then you have no need to change any other setting.....

Yes a Corsair 1000W is more than sufficient for your cards..... but it would be advisable to go for the 1200W one since just in case you happen to add a few more hdds or some other peripheral it would be able to take the load.....

In case you are planning on buying the 100W, I'd suggest to go for the 1200W one instead....
m
l
October 19, 2010 12:49:03 PM

thx for that alyoshka im planning to buy a modular thermaltake toughpower 1200w i think that should be more than enough.

ps: in some posts i read that with such high power needs its ideal to have some kind of surge protector is that true ? i allread have a expensice belkin surge protector for my pc which supports up to 8 power sockets
m
l
October 19, 2010 1:02:10 PM

Surge Protectors protect an expensive PSU from power surges that can sometime cause a burnout in the PSU, so if the PSU is expensive it's always better to protect it with something or the other, some use a Surge Protector other use a surge protector plus a UPS. But basically the new PSU's have an inbuilt stabilizing circuit that helps 90% of the time, just in case there is a drop or rise way beyond critical levels of the supply.
Since high power needs require high power PSU's it's pretty logical , since the high power ones are most expensive, everyone is going to want to protect them :) 
An air conditioner is about 1.2KW to 1.6KW.... every seen a surge protector connected to one? :) 
m
l
October 19, 2010 1:23:33 PM

hmm true, the surge protector i have would do i suppose but at summers i think id need a nuclear reactor next to my house lol because there is 2 high power AC's at the house lol the pc , those AC's and other home electronics turned out i feel the house would blow up lol :D  but thx
m
l
!