Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Question regarding a build under $1,500

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 15, 2010 6:05:42 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 month from now

Budget Range: Under 1,500 preferably I've spent almost 500 so far out of my budget.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, programming, movie viewing, web browsing

Parts Not Required: OS, Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse, HDD (If reduces cost)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Prefer Intel and nVidia for CPU and GPU

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 eventually increasing to 1080p

Additional Comments: I have already purchased already the CPU, Case, CPU Heatsink/Fan and DVD-RW Drive

--------------------------------------------------

Already purchased/Have:

Antec Nine Hundred Case:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Intel Core i7 950

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

------------------------------------------------

Parts needed/deciding on currently:

GPU:

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

(Unsure if it is worth it spending the extra 20 for the Superclocked version)

RAM:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Mobo:

ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

PSU:

SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...


Any suggestions/changes are much welcome! I'm mostly worried about if I'm able to fit all of this in the case I have, if the cables will be able to reach where they need to inside this rig, and the quality of some of the products I've chosen. Generally I know what are good brands but I like to be sure with such a large investment. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Changed formatting to make it easier to read

More about : question build 500

December 15, 2010 6:44:31 AM

you should get by with a 650W-750W unit. Corsair, XFX, Antec, Sea Sonic are the best choices
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 4:10:57 PM

The case is definitely wide enough to fit the 212 HSF.
The 570 GPU might be a bit of a squeeze with the HDD cage layout though.
The 570 is ~1" longer than the width of your mobo. As long as you aren't planning to use the adjacent HDD slot, you should be ok. Plan on installing your GPU last.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 15, 2010 7:29:24 PM

jockey said:
The case is definitely wide enough to fit the 212 HSF.
The 570 GPU might be a bit of a squeeze with the HDD cage layout though.
The 570 is ~1" longer than the width of your mobo. As long as you aren't planning to use the adjacent HDD slot, you should be ok. Plan on installing your GPU last.


Alright, thanks for the heads up regarding these things. That puts me at ease for those worries. I'm now wondering if the PSU I'm thinking of getting is a good choice for the cost, I don't plan to cheap out on the PSU but is this worth the amount I'd be paying for it? Plus if the cable lengths would be good enough to reach around where needed inside my case?

EDIT: Also is there any reason to get the Superclocked edition of the 570GTX? Or just stick with the original?
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 7:50:34 PM

You can do better cost wise, although that's a great unit. When I do pricing at N.E., I always select the "free shipping" option first ($14.59 in your case). Check these out:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
IMHO you should be fine with cable lengths. You should be able to have nice, clean and organized cable management with those components in that case.
Edit to your edit:
If it's priced as the standard model, go for it. Most of the comments I've read about factory O.C.'s are favorable. I purchased a Gigabyte HD5770 OC version and am very satisfied, and see no need to take it further. Factory O.C.'d versions tend to be subjected higher QC standards.
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 8:00:27 PM

jockey said:
You can do better cost wise, although that's a great unit. When I do pricing at N.E., I always select the "free shipping" option first ($14.59 in your case). Check these out:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
IMHO you should be fine with cable lengths. You should be able to have nice, clean and organized cable management with those components in that case.
Edit to your edit:
If it's priced as the standard model, go for it. Most of the comments I've read about factory O.C.'s are favorable. I purchased a Gigabyte HD5770 OC version and am very satisfied, and see no need to take it further. Factory O.C.'d versions tend to be subjected higher QC standards.


Hmm okay, so spending the little extra might be better in the end for performance. I'm also wondering should I go for a 750W or a 850W? Since I'm looking more so at the PSUs you've listed.


EDIT:

Currently I'm sitting with the following

PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 8:10:01 PM

If your not planning to SLi the 570, you'll be fine with 750W. If you find a deal on a higher Watt PSU, or plan to upgrade in the future, go higher- your choice. But IMHO, 750W is a comfortable amount of power for your set-up.
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 8:20:11 PM

jockey said:
If your not planning to SLi the 570, you'll be fine with 750W. If you find a deal on a higher Watt PSU, or plan to upgrade in the future, go higher- your choice. But IMHO, 750W is a comfortable amount of power for your set-up.


Well, I think down the road I will be upgrading and SLing is a possibility. So that's my main concern of possibly choosing too low of a PSUs wattage.
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 8:26:13 PM

Ya, don't think a used PSU would be worth a whole lot.
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 8:35:50 PM

Also I still am not ordering the rest of these parts for another month or so, and during that time things may go down or some sort of deal may come up. So I'm holding my breath for now, otherwise does such a build look good all in all?

Case:

Antec 900

Mobo:

ASUS Sabertooth X58

CPU:

Core i7 950

Heatsink+Fan:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 +

PSU:

Corsair HX 850W

RAM:

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel

GPU:

EVGA 570GTX OC

DVD-RW:

OEM LG model

Total cost including shipping as of December 15, 2010: $1378.93 CAD

EDIT:

I have various HDD so I left that out and more so will be deciding which to use when I get these parts.
m
0
l

Best solution

December 15, 2010 8:51:08 PM

You've done well. That looks like a "dream system" at a very good price (and I'm an AMD guy). If you're not going to be buying anything for awhile, I would suggest putting your items in a wish list on N.E. and check prices for comparable items frequently. You might be surprised at the amount of money you can save. I spent 3 months buying components for my last build and ended up saving about 20% overall (still above my original budget- ha ha). Also, prices go up and down on a daily basis, see keep an eye on them, buy when there is a large discount, they usually only last a day or two.
Share
December 15, 2010 9:45:38 PM

jockey said:
You've done well. That looks like a "dream system" at a very good price (and I'm an AMD guy). If you're not going to be buying anything for awhile, I would suggest putting your items in a wish list on N.E. and check prices for comparable items frequently. You might be surprised at the amount of money you can save. I spent 3 months buying components for my last build and ended up saving about 20% overall (still above my original budget- ha ha). Also, prices go up and down on a daily basis, see keep an eye on them, buy when there is a large discount, they usually only last a day or two.



Will do, thank you for the input and the help it is much appreciated. Should have this rig up and running by the end of next month.
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 9:46:33 PM

Best answer selected by Serphkihou.
m
0
l
December 15, 2010 9:56:38 PM

Great! Good luck and most importantly, have fun!
m
0
l
December 16, 2010 2:01:44 AM

MMM nice system. I personally prefer Coolermaster cases (HAF 922 or 932). They're big and they keep it all nice and cool. The rest is exactly as I would build... part for part.
m
0
l
December 16, 2010 3:11:24 AM

GO CM !! my favorite
m
0
l
December 16, 2010 5:16:46 AM

Formata said:
MMM nice system. I personally prefer Coolermaster cases (HAF 922 or 932). They're big and they keep it all nice and cool. The rest is exactly as I would build... part for part.


Originally I was looking at the CM cases, but the Antec 900 was on for a really good deal with free shipping. So that ended up tipping me over to grabbing this case instead.
m
0
l
December 16, 2010 7:39:50 AM

jockey said:
You've done well. That looks like a "dream system" at a very good price (and I'm an AMD guy). If you're not going to be buying anything for awhile, I would suggest putting your items in a wish list on N.E. and check prices for comparable items frequently. You might be surprised at the amount of money you can save. I spent 3 months buying components for my last build and ended up saving about 20% overall (still above my original budget- ha ha). Also, prices go up and down on a daily basis, see keep an eye on them, buy when there is a large discount, they usually only last a day or two.


I love it when you log in, check the list and see that total cost figure has gone down a few bucks...

@Serphkihou With Sandy Bridge coming out hopefully we'll see some $ drops on the whole x58 setup by the time you order in a month.
m
0
l
December 16, 2010 7:44:42 AM

I'm pretty much hoping that is what will occur, I probably should of held off getting the i7 already but it was on for a fairly good price with free shipping as well as the few other components I got already. Either way I'm hoping I'll save on the remainder with price drops in the next month, I'm thinking of getting a 1TB WD Black Caviar if there's a fairly good drop in overall price since the extra space would be nice and I tend to always store a lot of stuff on my computer.
m
0
l
!