What laptops have best built in wireless?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 1:25:40 AM

I am in the market for a new laptop and want the most laptop that has the
best wireless range that I can get. Do the Centrino equipped laptops offer
any better range than any other built in wireless networking? Of course I
want 54g or better. Or should I not worry about built in wireless and just
get one of the newer super 54 or N type wireless cards? Thanks much.

Ben

More about : laptops built wireless

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 1:25:41 AM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:25:40 -0600, "Ben in TN"
<sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote:

>I am in the market for a new laptop and want the most laptop that has the
>best wireless range that I can get. Do the Centrino equipped laptops offer
>any better range than any other built in wireless networking? Of course I
>want 54g or better. Or should I not worry about built in wireless and just
>get one of the newer super 54 or N type wireless cards? Thanks much.

Repeating myself on a similar recent thread, why on earth will anyone
consider a pccard with an antena sticking out when one can buy
built-ins?

Any significant range-enhancer would be an antena, passive or active,
at the Access Point, unless one intend to travel with a 6-foot antena
attached to the laptop.

U know too of course most public places have 802.11b hot spots, but
not 802.11g. G is mostly for your home/office use at this time.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 2:27:33 AM

The IBM Wireless card that comes with the IBM T42 has great range, and will
work on A/B/ and G networks. Right now I am three floors away and in the
opposite corner of the house from a Linksys Wireless G access point, and I
am almost full strength, at 48Mbs. I haven't seen anything better other than
a booster and a aimed antenna.

Dan

Ben in TN wrote:
> I am in the market for a new laptop and want the most laptop that has
> the best wireless range that I can get. Do the Centrino equipped
> laptops offer any better range than any other built in wireless
> networking? Of course I want 54g or better. Or should I not worry
> about built in wireless and just get one of the newer super 54 or N
> type wireless cards? Thanks much.
> Ben
Related resources
February 13, 2005 3:07:25 AM

definitely get the g it is backward compatible to b.
the strength of the signal is what really helps in connection on wifi.
I use a pcmcia card and have no problems connecting to a good signal.

"Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
>I am in the market for a new laptop and want the most laptop that has the
>best wireless range that I can get. Do the Centrino equipped laptops offer
>any better range than any other built in wireless networking? Of course I
>want 54g or better. Or should I not worry about built in wireless and just
>get one of the newer super 54 or N type wireless cards? Thanks much.
>
> Ben

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 4:32:37 AM

I don't know why I'm that concerned over it anyway. Other than some laptops
do have much greater range than other ones. I was recently on vacation with
a few friends at Destin, Fla and there were 3 or 4 of us geeks on the top
floor of our 3 story house and we were trying to access open networks out on
the balcony. 3 of the 4 laptops we had were about the same but, the
smallest laptop there and I can't remember it's brand had a built in
wireless card and that laptop saw more networks than the rest of ours.
After that happened I bought a parker vision card which is supposed to have
very good range. www.parkervision.com is their website if you want to do
some reading.. I don't know why I'm so concerned with it now that I already
have the Parker Vision card but, if the built in card had real good range
that would be a plus too.

Ben
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 12:44:41 PM

A German-well reputated- Computermag made a test and they found the Dell Laptops have superior range
and speed of up to 2100KByte/s whilst the other like Samsung 1430KB/s, FSC 1126KB/s, HP1935KB/s, IBM
678KB/S or Toshiba 152KB/S were as nice but not as fast. Of course this is sticked to a specific
modell but I think- tends to show you which brand to prefer when going wifi
greetz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 13, 2005 1:32:35 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:44:41 +0100, "Steven Kraus" <skraus@gmx.net>
wrote:

>A German-well reputated- Computermag made a test and they found the Dell Laptops have superior range
>and speed of up to 2100KByte/s whilst the other like Samsung 1430KB/s, FSC 1126KB/s, HP1935KB/s, IBM
>678KB/S or Toshiba 152KB/S were as nice but not as fast. Of course this is sticked to a specific
>modell but I think- tends to show you which brand to prefer when going wifi
>greetz

Does it say what WiFi controller does the Dell have versus the others?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b F Wireless
February 14, 2005 10:16:15 AM

bobb <None@NoWhere.com> wrote:
>"Steven Kraus" <skraus@gmx.net> wrote:
>>A German-well reputated- Computermag made a test and they found the Dell Laptops have superior range

>Does it say what WiFi controller does the Dell have versus the others?

Most Dell laptops come with your choice of Dell TrueMobile (TM) or
Intel MiniPCI cards. I've been really happy with the Intel 2200BG in
my Latitude D600.
!