Advice on PSU for first build

Kikoku

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Building a new PC and wondering if my choice PSU would work with the build I'm going with. Decided to go for a budget PSU Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified.

FYI: Don't really plan to OC anything so pretty much will stay at stock.

Following PC parts are

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
GPU: XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black
Mobo:ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Anyways, if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. This will be my first build and don't want to mess anything up. OR if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Teh best thing would be to read the sticky up top to become familier on what makes a good PSU good and what are the downsides of a cheaper brand.

The biggest reason to go with a high quality PSU is your parts will last longer.
Here are some highlighted resources for you since I don't know your budget.

http://rankedpsulist.dabbledb.com/publish/rankedpsulist/9e1a7c0e-d5bf-43f9-bef5-1e519fca2605/43-54amps.html

and to check out what wattage you need, you can take a look here:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Agree with both.. Also, Davcon has linked a very good PSU (XFX).. So spend a bit more and get a better quality unit.. You should never cheap out on a PSU since every single component depends on it for their proper functioning..

Kikoku

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Well if you guys are giving thumbs up to the XFX then I'll go ahead with that. Was just trying to shorten my budget, but if it helps my overall system don't mind paying more for a better product.

I was originally going to get a Corsair 650w, but this XFX looks good. Was taken back when I saw the Dimensions, 13.98" x 7.87" x 5.51", but pretty sure that implies the box it's in and not the actual PSU.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and assisting me.