• Memory
  • Blue Screen
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Memory
November 16, 2011 9:22:28 AM

Hi,

Yesterday my PC was running fine;

MB - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 870
CPU - AMD 965BE @ 4.1Ghz - 1.475V (Temps MAX@52 during an hour of Prime testing)
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake Frio
GPU - GTX460 - Slight OC
RAM - 4x2GB Kingston value @ 1066 (due to issues running @1333)
HDD - Samsung SP - 1TB
PSU - Antec truepower 650W
Case - NZXT - Phantom 3 x 120mm fans + 2 x 200mm fans

Basically I ordered some new hardware which got delayed and i decided to trage it in for some ram on sale instead and so pulled out my 8GB and put in 16GB.

Next I booted up and all seemed fine. Ran Prime95 and bluescreened.

So I put the Ram down to 1066 (1600 stock) via bio's and tried again.

BSOD during prime

Next I upped the DRAM voltage to 1.6 (Kingston suggest 1.65 @ 1600)

BSOD during prime

Next I losened the timings a little and upped the NB Volatage a little to 1.3

BSOD during prime

Next I tried 1.66 DRAM Voltage and 1.4 to NB. (this is as high as I was really prepared to go)

Failed during loading windows.

Next came various errors and sometimes even failing to Post.

I took out all the ram and took the battery out of the MB to reset BIOS. PC would not boot without any ram so I put 2GB of the old ram back in.

Now I get various BSOD during booting, freezes and windows repair mode runs when it gets far enough but usually crashes. If it completes it states I need to restart to save changes but then usually crashes on boot. I also had the most odd thing I have ever seen. It asked if I would like to start windows repair mode. I clicked ok and the screen went black and then white blocks started appearing, then more while blocks, then lines and more white blocks, very slowly showing up 1 by 1, what is this?

Where do I go from here? Is my Motherboard done in. CPU? Should I format my HDD and start again?

If I do get it running would you suggest putting in the new ram a sticks in 1 at a time and Prime test?

I'd like to try resolve without spendign more money to be honest. I was just about set to chuck in the towel with this motherboard as its caused no end of RAM issues in the past and just get a i7 sandy bridge set up... but then a £500 and £200 bill came in the post....... so that the end of that plan!

Any help would be most gratefully recieved.

More about : kingston hyperx 1600 16gb 4x4 gigabyte 870a ud3 870 bsod post

a c 347 } Memory
November 16, 2011 12:01:55 PM

The AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE cannot run DDR3-1600 without an increase in either the FSB (CPU Host/Bus Frequency) -> 240HMz <or> CPU-NB Frequency -> 2400MHz.

As far as the CPU OC here's a decent guide -> http://www.techreaction.net/forums/showthread.php?t=367
November 17, 2011 6:21:04 AM

jaquith said:
The AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE cannot run DDR3-1600 without an increase in either the FSB (CPU Host/Bus Frequency) -> 240HMz <or> CPU-NB Frequency -> 2400MHz.

As far as the CPU OC here's a decent guide -> http://www.techreaction.net/forums/showthread.php?t=367

Hi,

Thanks, I did know it couldn't run the ram at that speed though and so underclocked it to 1066.

Anyway I have got somewhere with this....

I tried in vain all yesterday afternoon to resolve the issue. I got so far as putting my card info in for a i7 2700k cpu and motherboard. I then decided to give it one last go (as the £420 on my mates screen was scary!).

I removed all hardware apart from CPU and cooler. I added my 16GB of ram and then tightened up the cooler again so everything was rock solid. I then added only what I must to boot.

I then tried to boot from disk (and re-install windows). PC crashed 2/3 times.

Then it started up and actually reinstalled windows. I didn't dare format HDD as I have about 500GB of games and music that would take steam an ice age to download and install again.

As it is now I have a fresh windows install and PC boots fine.

Next my steps are going to be to access BIO's and make sure Ram's underclocked. Leave CPU stock. Carefully pick out what I need from my "Old Windows" folder and drag it accross to the relevent folders in new windows then delete everything I don't 100% need. I.E. reinstall all new drivers

Then when everything (fingers crossed) is set up. I shall stress test the ram again, starting at 800mhz. CPU stock.

My friend had an issue where the Frio CPU was so heavy it actually kept on moving from the CPU slightly and crashign the system even though the temp reports were fine.

Makes me wonder if i have something like this going on.
Related resources
November 17, 2011 6:21:12 AM

jaquith said:

Hi,

Thanks, I did know it couldn't run the ram at that speed though and so underclocked it to 1066.

Anyway I have got somewhere with this....

I tried in vain all yesterday afternoon to resolve the issue. I got so far as putting my card info in for a i7 2700k cpu and motherboard. I then decided to give it one last go (as the £420 on my mates screen was scary!).

I removed all hardware apart from CPU and cooler. I added my 16GB of ram and then tightened up the cooler again so everything was rock solid. I then added only what I must to boot.

I then tried to boot from disk (and re-install windows). PC crashed 2/3 times.

Then it started up and actually reinstalled windows. I didn't dare format HDD as I have about 500GB of games and music that would take steam an ice age to download and install again.

As it is now I have a fresh windows install and PC boots fine.

Next my steps are going to be to access BIO's and make sure Ram's underclocked. Leave CPU stock. Carefully pick out what I need from my "Old Windows" folder and drag it accross to the relevent folders in new windows then delete everything I don't 100% need. I.E. reinstall all new drivers

Then when everything (fingers crossed) is set up. I shall stress test the ram again, starting at 800mhz. CPU stock.

My friend had an issue where the Frio CPU was so heavy it actually kept on moving from the CPU slightly and crashign the system even though the temp reports were fine.

Makes me wonder if i have something like this going on.
a c 347 } Memory
November 19, 2011 7:02:59 PM

This might be a 'building' issue over a RAM issue. I've built a few systems with the FRIO and other much heavier HSFs.

PROBLEM - Many HSF fans come with Intel adapters pre-installed therefore you MUST use the AMD brackets and mounting hardware. The HSF should NEVER be loose regardless of the temps you are seeing (they're not accurate)!

IF the problems remain then IMO try the stock HSF to determine an installation issue. TIP - regardless of the installation HSF manuals never allow direct metal <=> MOBO contact and IMO use thin plastic washers on the top and bottom if necessary.

Windows 7, sure you can re-install Windows, but in addition it's generally a good idea to carefully examine the Event Manager before doing a clean install which as you're discovering also requires the Apps to be re-installed as well.

TIP - BIOS evasive Apps don't use them and uninstall them from Windows. Reason, they contradict and often interfer with any manually done BIOS adjustments.

TIP - AHCI often if the BIOS is set to AHCI Windows very frequently is NOT; use Fix It or set both Start = 0 values in the Windows registry. See -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 note: BIOS = AHCI <=> Start = 0 <or> BIOS = IDE <=> Start = 3.

AHCI and Start = 0 values:

Event Manager expand [+] critical errors.
!