Your question
Closed

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AMD 900 Series Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
November 16, 2011 12:54:58 PM

I've got the GA-990FXA-UD3 running BIOS F5 -- there is a beta F6 floating around.

In order to avoid frustration you should flash each chip of the dual BIOS with the same BIOS version! It's a simple process found in the manual or lookee here. It will make tweaking much more enjoyable.

Everything works just dandy. I run 2 external 5-bay HDD enclosures off the 2xeSATA using the port-multiplier. It has unlocked an X3 Rana and PhII 555, and clocked a PhII 965 to 4GHz+ without difficulty, in spite of an Antec Earthwatts 650w with a ripple issue. I haven't Crossfired anything but I assume it will function as spec'ed.

I boot to an OCZ Agility SSD in less than 20 seconds -- it's got plenty of fan headers. I can't speak to the thru-put of the USB3.

Early revisions have VDroop and don't offer LLC -- fixed in updated versions. I'll wait for BD-II and a serious price drop in a year or so before going AM3+.

Sleeps at 5w and wakes without issue -- I'm using it to stream media ...

Related resources
November 16, 2011 10:08:03 PM

thanks for info, that was really helpful
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
November 17, 2011 12:36:42 PM

No worries, mate.

The main difference between the -UD5 and -UD3 is in the PWM. It's upgraded on the -UD5 for really serious over-clocking ...

Score
November 17, 2011 6:49:24 PM

thanks again cracker, OC'ing is the plan, so I'll be posting next week on how to do it lol
Score
November 18, 2011 10:02:05 PM

Best answer selected by Loans87.
Score
November 26, 2011 10:05:56 AM

sorry to bump, but I've got probs in my BIOS with this board. Everything is running fine for the most part guys but I cannot get my extra slave HDDs to be detected BUT more importantly the majority of my BIOS settings are locked! (blued out) I cannot select any (except a few) options! Why are the options locked, I had setup a password, and also entered it upon entering my BIOS. So I dont know if its a security issue.
Score
November 26, 2011 11:28:11 AM

Ok, so I've got the slave drives operating now.

BIOS settings are still on lockdown though
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b À AMD
December 1, 2011 11:01:24 AM

At the main BIOS screen hold down the <Ctrl><F1> keys to expand your menu options!

Score
!