Closed Solved

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AMD 900 Series Motherboard

Anyone personally own this board or one of the series? I'm looking for anyone who'd recommend it or steer me away from that board due to issues they've had.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=667674&CatId=7246 169.99

Maybe you know of a better price too :wahoo:
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gigabyte 990fxa series motherboard
  1. Check newegg.com for their customer reviews. Or google for a review of the board online, such as this one: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4387/gigabyte_ga_990fxa_ud5_amd_990fx_motherboard_review/index.html
  2. Best answer
    I've got the GA-990FXA-UD3 running BIOS F5 -- there is a beta F6 floating around.

In order to avoid frustration you should flash each chip of the dual BIOS with the same BIOS version! It's a simple process found in the manual or lookee here. It will make tweaking much more enjoyable.

Everything works just dandy. I run 2 external 5-bay HDD enclosures off the 2xeSATA using the port-multiplier. It has unlocked an X3 Rana and PhII 555, and clocked a PhII 965 to 4GHz+ without difficulty, in spite of an Antec Earthwatts 650w with a ripple issue. I haven't Crossfired anything but I assume it will function as spec'ed.

I boot to an OCZ Agility SSD in less than 20 seconds -- it's got plenty of fan headers. I can't speak to the thru-put of the USB3.

Early revisions have VDroop and don't offer LLC -- fixed in updated versions. I'll wait for BD-II and a serious price drop in a year or so before going AM3+.

Sleeps at 5w and wakes without issue -- I'm using it to stream media ...
  3. thanks for info, that was really helpful
  4. No worries, mate.

The main difference between the -UD5 and -UD3 is in the PWM. It's upgraded on the -UD5 for really serious over-clocking ...
  5. thanks again cracker, OC'ing is the plan, so I'll be posting next week on how to do it lol
  6. The fine folks in the THG AMD Over-Clocking Forum will be glad to help !!

[:jaydeejohn:5]
  7. Best answer selected by Loans87.
  8. sorry to bump, but I've got probs in my BIOS with this board. Everything is running fine for the most part guys but I cannot get my extra slave HDDs to be detected BUT more importantly the majority of my BIOS settings are locked! (blued out) I cannot select any (except a few) options! Why are the options locked, I had setup a password, and also entered it upon entering my BIOS. So I dont know if its a security issue.
  9. Ok, so I've got the slave drives operating now.

BIOS settings are still on lockdown though
  10. At the main BIOS screen hold down the <Ctrl><F1> keys to expand your menu options!
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Gigabyte AMD Product