Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Building an HTPC that must do HD video. 2500T or 2500S?

Last response: in CPUs
March 11, 2011 3:57:47 PM

I'm building a HTPC and it absolutely must be able to play full screen HD 1080p. I'm upgrading from a system I built using an AMD 705e that would choke on larger HD files.

I'd prefer the 45w thermal profile of the 2500T, but I'm concerned as to whether it will have the horse power to get the job done. I've noticed on the spec sheets that it has a significant step down from all of the other sandy bridge processors in terms of graphics core speed.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance
March 11, 2011 4:35:10 PM

1080p video doesn't take much horsepower, especially with various different hardware accelerations present. The 2500T will be more than adequate if that's the hardest thing you're trying to accomplish.
m
l
March 11, 2011 4:41:25 PM

archibael said:
1080p video doesn't take much horsepower, especially with various different hardware accelerations present. The 2500T will be more than adequate if that's the hardest thing you're trying to accomplish.

Hmm, My current setup is a 705e, using the mother board's integrated ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics chipset. Would you expect trouble with that sort of setup? Perhaps it's not horsepower that is my problem.

Thanks for the reply! On another note, you wouldn't happen to have any suggestions as to where I could FIND a 2500T would you? They seem rare as can be.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 5:05:04 PM

What kind of 1080p video are you having trouble with? What codec? What player? What bitrate? Are you using DXVA/hardware acceleration?

My onboard HD4200 hasn't had any troubles with 1080p at all.
m
l
March 11, 2011 5:14:45 PM

rwpritchett said:
What kind of 1080p video are you having trouble with? What codec? What player? What bitrate? Are you using DXVA/hardware acceleration?

My onboard HD4200 hasn't had any troubles with 1080p at all.

Codecs: MPEG-4 / H.264, 40 mbps in a mkv container.

The Boxee player (I'm to understand it's proprietary) and VLC, no hardware acceleration as that doesn't play nice with Boxee's player.

I have tried it on windows media player and the files play fine. I was wondering if perhaps more horse power would resolve whatever issues I've had with VLC and BOXEE.

I don't have trouble with all files, but a few get choppy. Haven't found a common thread. Seems to be the longer files (20 gig and up) choke it a bit more often but that's probably just coincidence.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 11, 2011 6:28:53 PM

Ah... software decoding does take some CPU muscle. I use WMC/WMP or XBMC, all of which make use of hardware acceleration. Using a 905e BTW, same as yours but with one more core.

You could also try CoreAVC and see if that helps. Also, read this forum thread on the issue and the proposed fix:

FIX - 1080p mkv Smooth Playback
March 11, 2011 7:03:58 PM

Best answer selected by NYTrojan.
m
l
a c 108 à CPUs
March 12, 2011 2:30:43 PM

NYTrojan said:
No I haven't. I'm having difficulty finding out how to download it too. I found this:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-avivo-h...
but all it seems to point to is the standard catalyst software.

Also, sadly, the info on that forum didn't do the trick.

I'm not surprised --- AMD made them really hard to find :lol:  and have now renamed the download the AMD Media Codec Package. These are for W7-64 -- if you need me to dig up others lemme know.

After install select your codec as unified video decoder. You should see a rather substantial drop in cpu utilization, and hopefully this will help your playback issues, too.

And you are not alone --- folks generally have no clue as to what Avivo is/was. Maybe that's why they changed the name.
m
l
!