Updated BIOS. CPU and MB temps drastically changed?!

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
So I have an Asus p8p67 pro motherboard. I have been running the BIOS that came with the mobo for a while now. I just updated the BIOS a while ago.

I can't remember what the mobo temp was reading, but the CPU was usually idling around 46 C. After updating the BIOS, the CPU temp and mobo temp will only fluctuate once when I first open the BIOS. I have always seen the temp fluctuate just like the fan speeds, but now that just isn't happening. Both now read between 28 C and 29 C. What in the hell? I triple checked that I downloaded the correct BIOS version.

I'm too afraid to even play a flash game now for fear of overheating. What should I do?

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I just don't understand the massive discrepancy. I'm afraid if the actual temp is at 46 C and now it is reporting 28 C, that when I go play Just Cause 2 at the highest settings the CPU will be destroyed.

Also, in your BIOS do the temps usually fluctuate? It doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

I guess I just don't know what value is "real".

Onlyusemeisaac

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
BIOS temps are usually accurate, the updated BIOS may have improved your CPU's ability to handle itself. Use a program like CPU-Z and see what it says, although I think it may read the same as the BIOS. What processor do you have?

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I should've specified. I have a Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge. I am using a Cooler Master hyper 212 + cpu cooler with two fans in a push-pull setup.

Here is a picture of me using realtemp and hwmonitor. Link

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Thank you so much for the replies ONLYUSEmeISAAC and prvtchurch. I was kinda freaking out. I expected a lower temp but not by 18 C. If it does fry after I play some Just Cause 2 ina minute I'll be sure to let y'all know :).