Sign in with
Your question

Power Outage...OH NO

Last response: in Components
March 11, 2011 6:57:14 PM

Hey guys,

So yesterday I weathered two power outages that happened for no real apparent reason..perhaps a car accident. At any rate, I went to bed and everything was fine. However, I woke up this morning and saw that we had ANOTHER power outage. I tried to turn my computer on a few hours later and...it wouldnt turn on at all, though one time I did hear a minor crackling sound X_X. I flipped the red fuse switch on the back of the power supply, turned it on, and it powered the fans, the vid card fan, and the green led is lit on the mobo. However, the light in the front that normally indicates the computer being on is not powered and there is no bootup at all. No video, nothing.

At first guess, does this sound like a partially fried power supply or is it something more insidious? I thought the front lights were HDD lights so I'm worried my hard drives got fried, but I tried hooking up another one and I still didnt see a light.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

More about : power outage

a c 694 ) Power supply
March 11, 2011 7:30:24 PM

First of all what PSU do you have? Usually the little red switch is not a fuse but a voltage selector between 230volt and 115volt input, unless you are meaning the on/off switch.
m
l
Related resources
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 11, 2011 7:42:34 PM

Well most likely it is bad (now they don't like wrong input Voltage)! If you did not have the computer on during the power outage it is most likely only the PSU that failed. Replace it with a quality unit with active pfc (no selector switch) this one has gotten great reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
March 11, 2011 7:46:09 PM

thanks! Ok...heres the weird thing though roll...I just flipped the switch back and turned it on...everything is magically working. No idea what the heck is going on. It was LITERALLY just COMPLETELY dead.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 11, 2011 7:51:09 PM

Somehow you PSU lived when flipping the red switch.. you get really really lucky.
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:00:18 PM

Really? Wow...its about time I got some luck x_x. I have another post I have been using to talk to a few great dudes about another problem or two I've been having, so to NOT have to deal with this one is a HUGE relief.
m
l
March 11, 2011 8:29:14 PM

Flipping the voltage select doesn't necessarily kill the PSU. Generally only really crappy ones die from that. Most others will either A) fail to power on, or B) will power on but fail to issue a PWR OK signal to the motherboard, so you'll get fans and drives spinning up, but no POST.

m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 11, 2011 8:59:53 PM

cactusgod said:
thanks! Ok...heres the weird thing though roll...I just flipped the switch back and turned it on...everything is magically working. No idea what the heck is going on. It was LITERALLY just COMPLETELY dead.

Flipping the switch you probably reset the unit (good sign has some sort of protection built in) so you where lucky this time.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 11, 2011 11:44:15 PM

If you are plugged into 115 volts and flip the voltage selector switch to 230 volts and try to boot, nothing will happen. The PC just willl not work.

The opposite is not true. You will fry something.
m
l
March 12, 2011 7:42:11 AM

Oh. Ok. Thanks a lot guys. It's been working fine all day. I think I might have to start unplugging the computer at night before I go to bed....honestly can't handle that stress anymore haha
m
l
!