I really have a problem and please be sure that I first tried to solve it on my own, googled extensively, searched forums massively, looked in my manuals etc...
I just recognized a few days ago that my PC thinks to run graphics as
GDI Generic Renderer
Microsoft Corporation as Vendor
and OpenGL at version 1.1.0
I have dual OS boot so I checked my configuration on Linux/Ubuntu for the same Computer.
Linux allows me OpenGL 2.1 and full graphic card power.
I tried the following to get my Win XP mentioning that I have a Gigabyte nVidia Geforce 6600GT (just to be clear: my hardware tree says that I have one. But when I run different OpenGL-games or GPU-OpenGL-Viewers they say I don't have OpenGL > 1.1):
- Uninstall nVidia-drivers and reinstall nVidia-Drivers a dozen times. I tried several different versions of nVidia from 160xx up to the newest. Then I tried also different uninstallers to be sure to get rid off all driver crap. I also tried the Omega drivers for nVidia. I even turned off firewalls, because some forums say, that they could prevent drivers from writing the registry. It didn't work at all.
- I updated all my motherboard drivers. No help.
- I tried some "minor" OpenGL-Games (e.g. Project W), because I thougth that the problem is a software thing. Even the "minors" say: You're crap
- I checked my system panel, if the hardware acceleration is on full. It is, it never changed.
- I checked several specific registry entries, which were mentioned in some Forums. Everything looks good.
- Put the hardware out, put back in again, fresh driver install. Nothing happens.
- checked if the DirectX-dialog has the same problem: No. Everything activated, tests were fine.
- I didn't make a full reinstall of the Windows OS. That's the last what I want.
my specs (yes, its quite old, I know)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Build 2600 Service Pack 3
BIOS Manufacturer:American Megatrends
BIOS Date: 03/25/02
BIOS Version: 07.00T
Motherboard Model: ECS K7S5A Rev 1
Motherboard Chipset: SiS 735 + 85C503/5513/961
Processor Name: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ CPU Code (Thoroughbred)
RAM: 2x512MB (1GB)
Memory Type: DDR-SDRAM
Memory Speed: 133.3 MHz (PC2100)
Module Manufacturer: Micron Tech.
Video Chipset: nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP (BR02)
Video Memory: 128 MBytes of GDDR3 SDRAM
Video Card: GIGABYTE GeForce 6600 GT AGP
Video Bus: AGP 4X
Video RAMDAC: Integrated RAMDAC
Video BIOS Version:5.43.02.64.00
There might be an OGL install package somewhere? I've never run into this type of problem, and I've worked with the OGL SDK...even then, I'd be surprised if XP and NVIDIA drivers didn't have the necessary components, and I'm 99% sure the 6000 series is OGL 1.1 compatable...
I know for a fact my old 5500 FX (don't laugh; it was a significant upgrade from my Geforce2!) supported OpenGL 1.1, so the 6000 series has to have that level of support. I really can't think what the problem would be, as the NVIDIA drivers should provide the OpenGL interface, and Windows should have the OpenGL drivers installed.
* Post in ALL CAPS or use excessive punctuation!!!
* Share personal information, like your email address. Identify theft is real.
* Bump posts, claim "first!"
* Hijack a topic. Stick to the original conversation.
* Ask for help pirating, cracking passwords, or bypassing copyright protection