Will my USB be the RIP for this PC?

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
So we have a Pentium Core 2 6600 machine with a off-the-shelf Intel MB (forget the model, but can find out) that has been running non-stop since it was initially plugged in some 5 years ago.

First, one of the original WD 250g hard drives failed in a Raid1 setup, the second drive was readable, but not bootable. We replaced them with two 2tb drives pilaged out of some new WD Essentials back-up drives. Got Windows XP Pro 32-bit reinstalled, updated, and running.

After a short period of time the mouse and keyboard would intermittantly and independantly stop working.

I tried:
- checking Mouse current draw: 100mA
- checking bandwidth draw on USB controllers, max was 23% on any one controller
- checked other devices current draw, none were anywhere near the 500mA limit
- made sure to update all drivers and bios (bios even suggested potential problems with USB devices that it was supposed to resolve)
- tried other wired mice, same result
- reduced Hardware Acceleration 1-click to the left
- disabled the Power option for the OS to shut off USB devices while idle

As of recent we have plugged into the USB:
- Epson 4800 Pro printer
- WD Elements 1gb back-up hard drive (gets backed up every night)
- AOpen keyboard
- AOpen optical wired mouse
- APC UPS back-up
- often have a flash drive plugged in

So, the mouse either stops working, keyboard stops working (numlock light goes out, so is loosing power), or the mouse pointer skips across the screen.

Any other tips to try before I start spec'ing out a new motherboard?

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
tried switching connectors around...

now the PC is closing our programs and requesting a security key when we try to reopen (Xante Flexo).

I'm starting to wonder if this might be indicative of a flaky power supply?

It is 4+ years old, a Allied AL-C350ATX (3.3 28A, 5v 28A, 12 19A, 5vsb 2A)...in Hardware Monitor in Bios, the 12v reading fluctuates from 11.8-11.9 at idle, 3.3 and 5v is pretty stable.

BTW, the motherboard is a Intel DQ965GF, bios from 10.4.09, Intel Dual Core 6600, Kingston DDR2 PC2-5300 1gbx2 RAM, 2xWD 1tb blue drives, 1 dvd/cdrw PATA drive, 1 1.44 floppy

USB connections:
- keyboard
- mouse
- WD Elements 1tb back-up drive (backs up nightly)
- Epson 4800 Pro printer
- APC back-up monitor

This PC is left on 24/7 and primarily used to receive print jobs from a Mac and then send them to a special laser printing-plate printer.

I just can't seem to figure this issue out =\

I'm on the fence about either recommending a new PSU and/or specing out an all new MB/CPU/maybe reuse the RAM in a AM2+?...idk, this PC needs to be reliable, our biz depends on it.

kitaware

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Try
checking USB drivers in Device Manager and try "update driver software"
Try
uninstalling and reinstalling USB drivers

good luck...