Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Socket 1156 with SLI

Last response: in Motherboards
November 16, 2011 4:25:04 PM

The current board I have is a GA-P55A-UD3 which doesn't support SLI. Found this out too late as I bought a second MSI 560ti twin frozr II for it.
Doing a search for SLI supported with socket 1156 came with very low results, as they're being discontinued. What I did find is Asus P7P55D-E PRO which I think will manage the SLI and my G.SKILL Ripjaws 8gigs. Doing this make me keep my Intel i5 750 cpu and just have to purchase this board. However....

Should I just go and purchase a newer mobo and cpu? Looking at these:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
with the memory and video cards I have?

Currently playing BF3.

Specs:
Intel i5 750 cpu
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 mobo
MSI 560ti Twin Frozr II
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
Intel SSD 80gb
Thermaltake Toughpower 650w PSU

More about : socket 1156 sli

a c 435 V Motherboard
November 16, 2011 10:10:16 PM

Try selling your old board/cpu/heatsink as a combo deal on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum. Keep running it until it's actually sold; I wouldn't order anything new either. It may take awhile to sell. And it's only 8 days until black friday if you live in the usa. It starts thanksgiving night at many stores. You may find some deals then at frys and newegg. I would start by asking $175 plus shipping. It's used stuff; too many folks overprice their stuff. It won't move if the price is high.
m
l
November 17, 2011 1:50:52 AM

I'm not trying to sell anything. I'll just pass down the old hardware to my other PC.
I just need advice on that old socket 1156 Asus board, and if I should just buy the Gigabyte Mobo/Sandy bridge instead.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 2:03:12 AM

Thronk said:
I'm not trying to sell anything. I'll just pass down the old hardware to my other PC.
I just need advice on that old socket 1156 Asus board, and if I should just buy the Gigabyte Mobo/Sandy bridge instead.

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 that does SLI just fine. The only issue I have is that it does 1 slot X16 and the other X8

it has been flawless in its operation...
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2011 2:04:37 AM

Return the card, sell the one you have and buy a 580 lightning or Asus DCU then overclock for great results. Your current Motherboard and CPU will in no way limit anything.

I recommend this as an option as I do not know much about SLI with 8 + 8 PCIE lanes.

I've read the losses are up to 8 % but this is with really high end cards.
The 560ti is a great card but not really as powerful as the surely amazing cards that were used in the reviews you have read.
November 17, 2011 2:38:43 AM

spentshells said:
Return the card, sell the one you have and buy a 580 lightning or Asus DCU then overclock for great results. Your current Motherboard and CPU will in no way limit anything.

I recommend this as an option as I do not know much about SLI with 8 + 8 PCIE lanes.

I've read the losses are up to 8 % but this is with really high end cards.
The 560ti is a great card but not really as powerful as the surely amazing cards that were used in the reviews you have read.

I've read the same, losses are not that great. Or noticeable.
Returning the new MSI card I just purchased through Newegg is not something I thought of. And if the 580 lightning will play BF3 on ultra or very close, that seems to be a good option. It'll give back $240.00 and the lightning is $525.00 -This one? or the Xtreme
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 17, 2011 4:39:17 PM

If you sell what you have that should get you enough money
m
l
November 18, 2011 4:30:08 PM

Thing is, I bought that card on a visa gift card, so it can't have funds added back to it. Wonder how newegg will issue this.

And the xtreme is already sold out :( 
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 18, 2011 4:32:07 PM

You can contact newegg by "live chat". Have your original receipt loaded on the screen while you chat. Newegg keeps good records. They may charge you a fee for exchange. Be nice and maybe they won't.
m
l
November 18, 2011 6:44:48 PM

Thank you, went through the Live Chat and they said if the refund fails to go through the original purchase method, they'll send a check. Started the RMA process.
Once I get the refund, hopefully that MSI Lightning Etreme will be in stock.

Thank you all for your help :sol: 
m
l
November 28, 2011 12:26:37 AM

Best answer selected by Thronk.
m
l
!