Dell PP150 mobo too old for an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizzit

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I was recommended to purchase a completely new computer a few weeks ago so I followed some basic recommendation from Maximum PC:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/how_build_ultimate_gaming_pc_step_step

It looks like a decent rig and I can recycle my current case and PSU, but I'm unsure if its really necessary with what I have now. I had originally wanted to build it for FFXIV, but that game is definitely not worth the $1000+ price tag.

Is there any way I can upgrade my current rig to be "ok"? I don't play anything like Crysis, but I would like to play SWTOR and Diablo III when it comes out.

My PC:

Dell630i XPS
PP-150 MOBO
Intel Core2 QUAD Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
4x1 GB Corasir DDR2 RAM
DELL 750W PSU
2 SLI'd Nvidia GEforce 8800 GTs
1680x1050 res.

I don't overclock anything at the moment. I'm wondering if my dated Mobo will be able to upgrade a reasonable amount. For upgrade I'd be willing to spend ~$500. any more and I'll probably just buy a new rig.

Is there a good graphics card (like a 460GTX) that will work in my machine?

Thanks again for the help.

Solution
If you're running a pair of 8800GT's now then a GTX460 will work just fine but other than DX11 and lower power usage it won't be much of an upgrade.

frizzit

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

I think I'll save my cash then for a new rig. Thanks for the info. I'll try the OC and see if I can get some more juice out of the old mobo until its time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.