Probably dead Mobo, first build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobVosh

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Trouble shooting a comp that won't power up, and I really don't want to RMA again. However I'm also expecting to need to.

As in title, this is my first time to build a comp. I unfortunately had a DOA power supply, failed the paperclip trick. Now I think the mobo is DOA as well, also due to fun power issues. When I plug in the 24 pin connection it will light up for a second...then nothing. If I then pull it out then replug it the same will happen.

If it somehow matters:
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W
[strike]Motherboard[/strike]Processor: Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield

Thanks for any help, I definitely appreciate it.

*Edit* Opps, that would be a processor not a motherboard.
This would be my motherboard: Biostar T5 XE CFX-SLI LGA
Probably should have gone higher end on that, but it was on an incredible sale.

Solution
You linked to the CPU, but in any case..

There is a sticky here for boot issues. It usually works through most major causes and can save a good bit of time. Try pulling power, CMOS battery, and waiting a minute or two, then reassemble. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

That is, however, a common symptom of dead boards. :(

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
You linked to the CPU, but in any case..

There is a sticky here for boot issues. It usually works through most major causes and can save a good bit of time. Try pulling power, CMOS battery, and waiting a minute or two, then reassemble. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

That is, however, a common symptom of dead boards. :(

Solution

BobVosh

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I forgot to mention, I did check the sticky for the list of things to check. Most didn't apply as they were for after you at least got it to turn on.

Going to try power + battery now.

*edit* No bueno.

suteck

Distinguished
I'm not sure which list you checked but if you follow the link under my CPU-Z banner listed as
Read & Follow this Thread "System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist
and walk through all the steps in there you might find the problem. It is a pretty thorough list so please take your time and try each step. It has helped MANY people. If yo have tried all those and still can't find it ask again. It will eliminate alot of repeat questions and help you get your computer up and running faster.
And check to make sure you plugged in the other 4 pin power connector along with the 24 pin connector to properly power your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.