Chances of blown PSU damaging my other hardwares

up699

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
My Ultra LSP550P blew itself up today while I was in GTAIV. A few Sparks and scared the crap out of me with the BANG. So what are the chances of my other components being damaged?

My motherboard is a EVGA P55 FTW, a board built for overclocking with top notch capacitors.

So what are the chances of my hardware being knocked out by the PSU?

Core i5 750
EVGA P55 FTW
MSI GTX560Ti
4GB G SKILL 1600

A new PSU is coming tomorrow, it'll be a Corsair TX950W.

It really depends what blew, if sparks flew it was something with a lot of power behind it so it partly depends on the protections in the PSU and how quick they reacted, but its really impossible to tell if anything else got cooked until you get a working unit in there.

up699

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Short Circuit Protection, In-Rush Current Protection,Thermal Overload Cutoff Protection, Over-Temperature, Over-Voltage, Over-Current, Under Voltage

Those are the protections; SO now I just have to hope it kicked in fast enough? ahaha I love uncertainties.

It is unfortunatly not uncommon for a power supply blowing up to also damage the rest of the computer. Normally it is just the motherboard that is damaged but other components can be affected as well such as the graphics card. I have never known a processor to be damaged by a faulty power supply.

up699

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
The TX950W came in, fired up the beast and it started. The motherboard beeps were different than before. DVD and the HDDs sounded lifeless. Display got no signal.

Tested the hardware with a borrowed computer.

Conclusion: Burned 1 PCIEx16 slot on the mobo where the GTX560 used to be. Fired the 560 in the second slot got display.

Both raid 0 Sata slots are burned. HDDs are fine when plugged into Sata4/5 slot.

The PC works fine now. Only lost a PCIEx16 slot and 3 Sata slots.