When will the 2500k-2600k be Outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 362816

Give me a simple guess off the top of your head how long it will before the sb cpus cannot preform well in games anymore.

D

Deleted member 217926

You should have been patient cia24. I was one of the last to buy before the recall and I got my email from newegg tonight saying they finally have me a B3 board.

I got the notification from NewEgg as well. I'm going to be installing a water cooling system during my mainboard swap. It's the EK H3O Supreme HF 240 kit. I would have gone with the 360 radiator, but there's not enough room in my case for it. I'm a first timer with the liquid cooling, so I'm hoping I don't fry everything while trying to install it.

D

Deleted member 217926

Hyperthreading is why the 2600K costs $100 more than the 2500K. You have a quad core processor with 4 "virtual" cores in addition to the 4 "real" cores. So you have 8 threads with the 2600K and not 4 like with the 2500K.

D

Deleted member 217926

Helps if you use programs that make use of the extra threads. Mostly with photo/video editing and encoding software. Does not help much for gaming.

D

Deleted member 362816

Well if it doesnt help for gaming mabye i should save 100 and go with 2500k, no matter what the benchs say i still want to go x58 lol

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Get a Xbox
I wouldn't recommend a console to any serious gamer. That being said I would personally go for a PS3 as developers have reportedly barely scratched its abilities.

OP, I think you can pretty much last four years before these SB's can't hold their own in newer games, but you'll definitely want to upgrade sooner, probably buy a next-gen CPU in a couple years. You're SB won't be "outdated" per se but you'll want to replace it.

The thing is CPU's are pretty much hitting a thermal limit right now, and so the current trend is to parallelise applications to take advantage of multiple cores, which, fortunately, scale linearly regardless of how many you use (provided your application is designed to use them well). So while before, your 2.2GHz processor could sort of work through a game requiring 3GHz or better, in the future you'll have your 4-core CPU trying to keep up in a game that takes advantage of 12 cores. And if you do the math, that is a lot harsher on the CPU. In my opinion in a distant future you're going to buy generic, brandless CPU cores that physically cannot be any faster and add them to your computer. That's right, you're not gonna see 50GHz clock rates - it's a thermal impossibility.

Well, that's putting quantum computing aside of course :??:

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

We have been hearing that crap for years now and still games look no better on it than the XBox360.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

That's irrelevant. The important issue is when a new console generation is released, since most games are made for consoles first, PC second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS