Best Thermal grease?

ILUVCAPSLOCK

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I would like to know what is the best Thermal grease for laptops right now?
Also can i upgrade my CPU?
My comp is a dell studio 1536 soon to be running Linux mint :)

Solution
Arctic Silver 5 has fallen out of favor now. Tuniq TX-4 is good stuff, as is stuff from Zerotherm. I'm a fan of the TX grease, really nice stuff. "They" also speak highly of IC Diamond something? I don't know about that stuff.

4745454b

Titan
Arctic Silver 5 has fallen out of favor now. Tuniq TX-4 is good stuff, as is stuff from Zerotherm. I'm a fan of the TX grease, really nice stuff. "They" also speak highly of IC Diamond something? I don't know about that stuff.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
You took a screwdriver to a CPU heatspreader???? I wonder how flat it is now.

Looking online I found a studio 1536 with the RM-70 in it. Assuming you have the same RM-70 that I found in that model your options are limited. According to the wiki that chip is a 31W chip, and the only one. There is the RM-80 with is a 32W chip, but only runs 100MHz faster. All the other chips are 35W chips and are probably to much for your heatsink to cool. (not to mention they aren't much faster. The difference between 2GHz and 2.4GHz isn't much.)

Why are you looking to replace your CPU? You usually don't upgrade a laptop, just replace it and get a new one.

Edit: Forgot the wiki link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Turion