Nic card problems windows xp

Hello,
something is blocking any nic card, usb to 10/100 adapter or even wireless network adapter from working. none of the installs will work! i can't get on the network.....
4 answers Last reply
More about card problems windows
  1. It sounds like something isn't working right. Without more information, That is the best answer I can give. I have seen malware block internet access. You can download and run winsockfixxp.exe if you are running xp or older. You can open a cmd prompt (run as administrator) in Vista or 7 and type "netsh int ip reset" at the command prompt and hit enter. Then reboot the computer. I have also seen problems with a motherboard preventing ANY PCI card from working. However, in that situation, a USB adapter worked.
  2. Quote:
    Hello,
    something is blocking any nic card, usb to 10/100 adapter or even wireless network adapter from working. none of the installs will work! i can't get on the network.....

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few days ago. Absolutely NO network device could run in Windows.
    I made a total backup of the system for later analysis and performed a restore point rollback to about two weeks ago.
    The restore point completely fixed the problem. Now I will take some time and learn what caused that problem and a solution to it.

Official advice: Do a system restore point made before the problem started. Make a new restore point immediately if everything now works properly.
  3. Sounds like you picked up a virus. Even if you catch and delete the virus, it often affects the operating system in some way before it is effectively removed.
    By rolling back the system to a date prior to when the virus was picked up effectively cancels any system change the virus might have created.
  4. My favorite is when the virus goes and changes the proxy settings on your internet connection.

I would also take a look at that.

Control panel - Internet Options - Connections TAB - Lan Settings button

And if there is a proxy set, turn it off or sorry set it to automattically get settings.

Seen it a hundred times
Ask a new question

Read More

NIC Wireless Network Windows XP Networking