How do you disable the onboard graphics on an m4a89gtd mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoHistory

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I already have the graphics card installed and the vga switch card on the secondary slot. I know you can disable it on the bios but when i'm in the igp controller i have no clue how to. Can anyone explain it to me please I'm dying to play some games

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
A discrete graphics card will overwrite the igp, so no need to bother with the bios.

I'm guessing you've made the age old mistake of forgetting to connect your monitor cable to the actual CARD though, not the igp slot on your mobo. ;)

PsychoHistory

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

so do i have to connect my vga cable to my gpu then? because i was using the hdmi cable :p

PsychoHistory

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

it doesn't show any picture. I would use my vga or hdmi it wouldn't show any picture. My monitor would just go to power saving mode

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Take the graphics card out and go back to what you had before, the HDMI running off the igp.

I assume that was working ok yes?

If you can get it back to this then we can continue and get it fixed.

PsychoHistory

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

i did it but i'm not sure what to do. i go to the igp controller and it says this other stuff which doesn't look like to disable the whole thing

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
He's already got into the bios.

In the IGP section, you probably have to use your arrow keys to highlight it, then press enter. After that you should be able to change the setting using the arrow keys again.

Bios's are still a black art...and I'd be amazed if that was why it wasn't working. Be warned, if you switch of the IGP and the graphics card isn't working, you are now into reset-bios territory, and there is no way I'm gonna explain that one lol.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
3160_26.jpg

This page is useless to you psychohistory.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
You should be able to change them around so that it says PCI-GFX0-IGP or something like that.

I honestly don't think this will work btw :p But you seem determined to disable the igp.

Are those links I posted dead btw? I can't see them now.

PsychoHistory

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

there not dead. but the pci-gfx0-igp was set there. i have no clue why itsstill using the igp. lemme check ok

PsychoHistory

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

nothing was connected to it. the card is a 768mb gtx 460 by galaxy. do you think the mobo needs a bios update to support the card because im guessing the gtx 460 came out after the the mobo or am i wrong. im banging my head now because of this :fou:

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
You don't need a bios update to run a graphics card.

Just install the card by itself in your pci-e slot, put your vga cable into the back and switch it on.

Did you plug the pci-e connectors into the card btw? The 2 6-pins that need to be connected to the back of the card INSIDE the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.