$400 / $450 Desktop Recommendations?

Kraust

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: In the next month or so

Budget Range: (e.g.: 600-800) $400 or $450 before Rebates + After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching Movies, Browsing Internet, Light Gaming

Parts Not Required: PSU - Don't need to use it in the build but I have it. I know it gets a lot of hate because it is a relabeled 400w. Haven't completely tested it if it works yet, but I'm 90% it does. Operating System. Monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, if another site I'd like to buy all parts from the same site.

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: AMD, however that's an obvious at this price point.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900 (Resolutions always mess me up, not going to be more than 1080p. I'm not very picky with screens. This is coming from someone who's currently using a 15'' CRT.

Additional Comments:

Need all parts besides Operating System and PSU, however I know how flaky the PSU I have is so if you want to include one that's ok. Also, "Everything" entails Keyboard and Mouse. Going to buy a Monitor with speakers in a retail store (Something in the $100 range). That's not included in the price recommendation.

Also, this is the first time I'm buying anything online, and the first time I'm building so I don't really trust anyone besides Newegg and I'm realy hesitant because I don't want anything to be damaged / DoA.

Items I like:

Athlon II X3 445 - For Core Unlocking

ASRock M3A770DE - For Core Unlocking, and the possibility at CrossFire. DDR3. However, I'd like something more future proof. And it's full ATX size.

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS 250GB - HDD isn't big for me as I have an External 500GB drive I've had for the past year. And in that Past year I've barely used 100GB of it.

Any Radeon HD5670 - Seems to be the best card for under $100.

Also, I like things that are upgradeable, and long (as possible for the price) lasting.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The best value card under 100 is the GTS 450, which is what I think you should go with at your budget.

Seeing as you prefer AMD, you may also go with the Radeon HD 5770 for 120 odd, or better still, a XFX Radeon HD 5830 for only 140 bucks if you can just stretch your budget a bit.

Not that you will be needing it though at your resolution :p

What do you mean 1600x1200 most likely? Are you unsure as to what you're gonna get?

For around 120-140, you're gonna get a 20" LG/Samsung/ 1600x900 5ms monitor. Asus, Acer, Dell, Compaq are gonna be slightly on the lower side. I'll stay away from lesser brands, though.

You have pretty much chosen the best CPU+Mobo combo at your price point :)

Get a $85 EVGA GTS 450. Best deal from the best GPU manufacturer at this price point.

HDD- Do you need one? Or do you already have that WDC? If you need one, get the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for just 55 bucks.

The CPU will not however be upgradable to new tech, 'coz AMD is gonna usurp their AM3 socket for their upcoming range, but you can always get the Phenom II range of quads later :)

Kraust

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Yes, I need a Hard Drive. That's why I posted the cheapest one I could find. Also need an Optical Drive but that's only $20 so it doesn't matter as much.

And as for the Monitor, you're spot on for what I want. I have 500-550 to spend so I was looking for 125-150 to spend on a Monitor, and ~425 on a Tower Tower / Keyboard / Mouse.

I know about AM3+, but I see the Phenom IIX4/6 being ok for a while if I ever needed to upgrade without buying a whole new system.

Didn't know about the GTS 450.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
^ Gaming doesn't need any more than 2 cores. Any more than 3 is a luxury that budget gamers can ill afford. Most games are bottle-necked by GPU's, so spending the extra on that makes more sense rather than splurging unnecessarily on the CPU.