Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard/Video Card compatibility question

Last response: in Motherboards
November 17, 2011 4:08:12 AM

This motherboard (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Socket-AM3-Integrated-Mother...) apparently has a built in Radeon HD3000 graphics card, not something I particularly care for, and I wanted to know if it was compatible with this (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphics-0...) graphics card

I'm not quite sure what the difference in looks is for PCI express 2.1x16 and 2.0x16, so I didn't want to order the two parts and find out they didn't work :/ 

As a side question, I plan on running an FX-8120 CPU with it; will this video card choke it at all? If so, how severely?

Thanks in advance!

(apologies if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure whether to put it under Motherboards & Memory or Graphics & Displays)
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 17, 2011 10:03:20 AM

Need more information. What is your case size and power supply? Since you don't have true links, just list the asus board model number. You may need to flash the bios with an older cpu to get the 8120 to post.
Score
November 17, 2011 8:48:48 PM

Err, sorry. Here are the links

Motherboard
Video Card
PSU
Chassis (it's mid tower)

I'd like to note that I haven't ordered any of this yet, so if you see anything that won't work, please let me know.

Thank you for the response.
Score
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 17, 2011 8:59:37 PM

Don't go with a cheap brand on the ps. Good brands are corsair, antec, seasonic, xfx, and enermax. None are low priced. If you don't have the money for a good quality ps, then save some more.
Score
November 17, 2011 10:30:32 PM

Mmm, thanks for the advice. Would 600 or 550 watts (of a better brand of PSU) be enough to run the described rig without a problem? (including the FX-8120)
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 17, 2011 10:34:59 PM

Yes. Use one of the brands I listed above, or ocz, which is what I use.
Score
November 17, 2011 11:10:06 PM

Are the motherboard and video card compatible? I'm almost positive they are, but would prefer to have it confirmed from someone who knows more about it than me.
Score

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 18, 2011 8:38:44 AM

Yes. Be sure to mount the hardrive and optical drive inside the case before you install the motherboard. I also recommend a bare post on wood or cardboard, and let the video card hang over the edge. I use a screwdriver to power up by moving it around the case pin cluster until it fires up. You may also wait to mount the power supply so the cables can reach the board easier. Check the toggle switch on the back of the ps if it doesn't power up. Also double check the power supply leads using newegg's pictures to be sure it has the leads you need for the video card. Good ps also have two 12v leads, one 8 pin and one 4 pin; your board only needs 4 pins, but you can also break off part of the 8 pin instead.
July 8, 2012 10:17:18 PM

Best answer selected by samuraimastr.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 8:56:58 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!