$1200 Gaming Build Microcenter Help

Gaming Comp
Intel&Nvidia
Possible Overclock
WoW,D3,PS,CADD,Music
Budget is $1200
Looking to Shave a few $ without sacrificing much performance

Microcenter in LI, NY

SET UP:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth x58 LGA 1366 199.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0347337

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06 199.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0346210

Cooler Cooler master Hyper 212 Plus 29.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 139.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321071

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 359.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0353292

HD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD 59.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340562

Optical: 22x DVD±RW Burner with Dual/Double 17.99 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0293049

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout SGC-2000 94.99 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0308296

Power ModXStream Pro 700W Modular ATX Power Supply 99.99 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0301550

Total is 1202.91, 1306 after taxes, not including rebates.

Suggestions? Solid Build?

How's the PSU? I heard some wires are rather short, what extensions might I need? Wanted 700 watts for overclock and possible SLI in the future.

Ram? I wish Microcenter carried G.Skill

Anyone know of a decent case off Microcenter that could house all of this? Or should I just stick with what I got.

Thanks!
Trying to order ASAP.
7 answers Last reply
More about 1200 gaming build microcenter help
  1. Drop that PSU, get this:

    XFX Black Edition 750W Semi-Modular Power Supply - http://goo.gl/NmGlu

    Affordable, semi-modular, trusted brand

    G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 @ 1333 MHz CL7 - http://goo.gl/hLMJT

    Great RAM ^
  2. reaper2794 said:
    Drop that PSU, get this:

    XFX Black Edition 750W Semi-Modular Power Supply - http://goo.gl/NmGlu

    Affordable, semi-modular, trusted brand

    G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 @ 1333 MHz CL7 - http://goo.gl/hLMJT

    Great RAM ^



    Those are both from Newegg, I'm buying from a Microcenter.

    They don't carry G.Skill.
  3. reaper2794 said:
    Drop that PSU, get this:

    XFX Black Edition 750W Semi-Modular Power Supply - http://goo.gl/NmGlu

    Affordable, semi-modular, trusted brand

    G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 @ 1333 MHz CL7 - http://goo.gl/hLMJT

    Great RAM ^


    Good point about the PSU.

    But the RAM wouldn't do as gurd as the 6Gb one. As the 4Gb is dual channel and the 6Gb one is Triple channel. The 6 core i7 takes more advantage of triple channe RAM.
  4. dave0305 said:
    Good point about the PSU.

    But the RAM wouldn't do as gurd as the 6Gb one. As the 4Gb is dual channel and the 6Gb one is Triple channel. The 6 core i7 takes more advantage of triple channe RAM.


    Yes I need triple channel ram.

    I'm concerned about the PSU, but please keep in mind, MICROCENTER!!!

    Looking for something comparable in price. Need around 700w.
  5. FYI - Micro Center has an OCZ 12GB kit (3x4GB) DDR3 1333 9-9-9-20 for $129 with a $20 mail in rebate. Gold heat spreaders. This is not currently on their web site for some reason. The SKU is 664516.

    PSU => http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335913
  6. sadams04 said:
    FYI - Micro Center has an OCZ 12GB kit (3x4GB) DDR3 1333 9-9-9-20 for $129 with a $20 mail in rebate. Gold heat spreaders. This is not currently on their web site for some reason. The SKU is 664516.

    PSU => http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335913



    Thanks, I think I'll go with that PSU instead. Has good reviews on Newegg too.

    The comp is for a friend, he's picking up the parts today after work. I'll let him know about the ram but honestly he'll never, ever need 12gb. Is there a significant speed difference between the two sets, I see the one you stated is a little slower.

    Also, there was one review on Newegg's listing of the ram stating it's not actually made for the i7 even tho it claims it is. Apparently it faulted because the timing was higher than the CPU's, or something to that extent. Is this a real concern?

    Thanks!
  7. Deffinitly no need for 12Gb of RAM.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems