Sign in with
Your question

Oryxx Hercules 750w PSU power and other psu problems

Last response: in Components
March 12, 2011 2:15:28 PM

hi there i have problems with my power supply its Oryxx Hercules 750w crossfire psu 60 amps on a 12v rail i paid £55 (New) for my psu and at the time i wondered why it was so cheap as all others were double or triple that price. my problems started after about a year of owning it my comp would switch on for a few seconds after pushing the on button then power down all by its self 5 seconds later (every attempt). I took the computer apart and found the 4 pin 12v power connector had gone black and had melted part of the motherboard the board was cheap ECS 7050M-M V2 so brought next ECS model up motherboard and new 4 pin 12v plug on the power supply 6 months later same problem black sooty corrosion on 4 pin 12v psu connector and motherboard had melted on 12v connector too stopping the comp from working so thought im fed up of ECS and there crap motherboards so read a review and brought ASROCK KN10N78D motherboard which had good reviews and was said to be rock solid.Now 1 month has gone by with my new board and a different problem has started when i shutdown my computer it all shuts down normally, screen goes black ect but all the fans are still running the power supply is still running graphics card is still running ect but windows shut down successfully screen turned off ok i then manually have to switch the power supply off via the switch on the back of the power supply all cables are connected correctly and checked any help with this would be gratefull as im just thinking in getting this power supply to sort this out once and for all OCZ 600W StealthXStream 2, Whisper Quiet, Active PFC,80-Plus i also do a huge amount of high end high res gaming my current setup is

Oryxx Hercules 750w Crossfire PSU
ASROCK KN10N78D Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition @ 2.6ghz (stock)
8GB Corsair XMS2 800mhz Ram
HIS Radeon 5770 1GB GDDR5 @ C 920mhz M 1340mhz
Samsung 530 Class 32" 1080p
1TB Samsung 7200rpm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
a c 275 ) Power supply
March 12, 2011 2:51:50 PM

A cheap crappy psu does things like that to mobo's and other components.
I would be pretty sure the psu itself is damaged after you've described all the mobo issues.
Get one of these they're better then Stealths.
OCZ Fatal1ty 550w Silent SLI - £44.99 inc vat
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/pow...

March 14, 2011 3:11:57 PM

davcon said:
A cheap crappy psu does things like that to mobo's and other components.
I would be pretty sure the psu itself is damaged after you've described all the mobo issues.
Get one of these they're better then Stealths.
OCZ Fatal1ty 550w Silent SLI - £44.99 inc vat
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/pow...

thankyou Davcon for your reply although how can a 550w be better than the 600w psu i described with top reviews. The only reason for asking is because im planning over the next 3 years to gradually upgrade to ddr3 ram, phenom x6 cpu, (six core)and amd hd 6970 gpu the (OCZ StealthXStream2 600w Silent ATX2 Power Supply 80PLUS) psu will easily cater for the 6970 and have room for more in the upcoming amd hd7000 series.
Related resources
March 14, 2011 4:03:47 PM

I believe he was referring to the quality. 550watts of quality power is far far better then 600watts of ok/good power. The PSU is the most underrated part of a computer, which is a shame because it is the life and heart of the whole machine.

You would be best off paying extra for a higher wattage PSU with a high quality rating.
a c 275 ) Power supply
March 14, 2011 8:24:26 PM

morph9927 said:
thankyou Davcon for your reply although how can a 550w be better than the 600w psu i described with top reviews. The only reason for asking is because im planning over the next 3 years to gradually upgrade to ddr3 ram, phenom x6 cpu, (six core)and amd hd 6970 gpu the (OCZ StealthXStream2 600w Silent ATX2 Power Supply 80PLUS) psu will easily cater for the 6970 and have room for more in the upcoming amd hd7000 series.

I linked you the Fatal1ty 550W because it's a good value(modular cables and more connectors) and would easily run your current pc.
The 550W is cheaper and has more connectors and they're modular that's what i meant by better.
Is the Stealth II good? yes it's a great unit for the price.
Either one would be fine imo OZC offers good value for those on a budget.
I have a ModXtreme 600W powering my secondary unit.
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

Radeon HD 6950 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.
Radeon HD 6970 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.

But since you're now mentioning more powerful components not mentioned in the original post i would consider stepping up from OZC.
Corsair,Antec,and XFX are the best choices for higher quality and price in the UK.
Most of which are Seasonic OEM.
March 15, 2011 4:06:38 PM

Enough said thanks guys just ordered not the 550 but the OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Semi-Modular PSU - 4x PCI-E 6x SATA from http://www.ebuyer.com/product/235519?utm_source=google&... which should do the buisness in my gaming pc future proof too well at least for a few years and capable of handling all my intended upgrades.
!