Sign in with
Your question

5770 & fallout new vegas question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2010 4:09:03 AM

Ok, just bought fallout new vegas today. Thought well it should be the same to run as fallout 3 was on my 8800 gtx , on my 5770 NOT . I didn't test the framerate but i didn't need to, i could tell how bad it was. I have a Q6600 at 3ghz , 6gb 800mhz ram and 2 x 250gb segate hdd in raid 0. 1000 watt psu. No viruses , regular defrag. It might get 40 fps when i look off at a rock and nothings going on thats on high settings with no aa and no af @ 1440 x 900. I tryed lowering to 1280 x 800 and med settings, about the quality of a 10 year old game and still got frame drop when I looked at a character. I can run the new Medal of honor in multiplayer mode at 1680 x1050 all maxed with direct x 11 and it runs really well. I'm just wondering whats going on with fallout.
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 4:36:19 AM

Obsidian is notorious for releasing buggy games. If I had to guess it will probably need a patch to run properly on any system.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 4:52:45 AM

I am not surprised and even Fallout 3 has little known compatibility issue that causes the game to crash except for when playing in interior cells like caves or inside buildings but once out into the waste land it bricks. Seeing that you have this problem on a 5770 has me worried as I for the past year thought that it only effected Nvidia but you proved me otherwise.
m
l
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 5:06:37 AM

its a crap port. the xbox version seems to be the most stable. on the PC version i can go from 60FPS to 5FPS...even in freaking Crysis i won't go under 20FPS in a nasty firefight

the polygons don't line up so many objects glitter like they have diamonds in them
NPCs get stuck in walls
enemies fall through floors, or swim on roads (kind of funny seeing half a giant ant swimming on a road
sad part is the game is actually good but frustrating

i have no clue how obsidian stays in business
KOTOR II - rushed entire ending just hangs there
NWN2 - poor voice acting and the worst camera i ever saw in a game
Alpha Protocol - rushed, buggy, decent game killed the former
F3 - new vegas - see Alpha Protocol
Dungeon Siege 3 - my money is on rushed & buggy
m
l
October 20, 2010 5:11:24 AM

Wow... I don't know what you guys are talking about.

FO3 for PC was so much superior its not even funny. Sure - if you have 10000000000000000 units on the screen all fighting the FPS might drop but thats about it. As far as the actual game goes I never had a single problem with it.

That being said, I have no played New Vegas yet. I doubt my 4850 can play it on high but meh - time for a new card anyway.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 5:14:24 AM

no one said FO3 for the PC wasn't superior to the console versions....
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 5:53:48 AM

nforce4max said:
I am not surprised and even Fallout 3 has little known compatibility issue that causes the game to crash except for when playing in interior cells like caves or inside buildings but once out into the waste land it bricks. Seeing that you have this problem on a 5770 has me worried as I for the past year thought that it only effected Nvidia but you proved me otherwise.

Nothing you said seems in any way related to what the OP said.
m
l
October 20, 2010 7:46:42 AM

Some games just run better on certian cards . I have a 5770 and a 9800gtx and crysis and aliens vs predator runs better on my 9800gtx even though suposadly the 5770 is a faster card. But then bioshock and Bhd runs a bit faster on my 5770. It also could be that Nvidia has better drivers and that can make some games run a bit smoother as well on there cards
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 2:01:07 PM

AvP probably runs better on the 9800GTX because you are using DX11 settings when running it on the HD5770. They cause a sizeable performance hit in order to make the game look better and are unusable on a DX10 card like the 9800GTX. Crysis should certainly run faster on the HD5770 given equal settings. All benchmarks I've seen have it significantly faster in that game. There are some games that favor Nvidia but those 2 are not among them.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 2:28:00 PM

nvidia screwed up their drivers for bioshock. the 178 drivers worked the best and after that people started to get FPS drops forcing them to roll back their drivers just to play the game.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 2:42:13 PM

Yeah, I actually gave up on running Bioshock on my old Nvidia card after a few hours. It averaged 60 fps or so but going into a new room caused frame rates to plummet to around 10-15 fps for 3-5 secs allowing any enemies in said room to tear me a new one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 5:15:16 PM

OMFG!! Fallout is out!! Why didnt anyone remind me!! :( 

Fallout 3 used to crash and bug out every so often, but nothing a restart of the game couldnt fix. Was and is one of the best games released for the PC.

have got it on Special Delievery Order for tomorrow so will post an update based on a Nvidia based SLI system.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 5:48:55 PM

jyjjy said:
Nothing you said seems in any way related to what the OP said.

The one of the things that I truly hate and that is ego. My post is relivent to this thread as both games have the same engine. -.-

One could wait for a patch or driver update but that could be weeks. Disable any filtering and v-sync as some have found it to help.
m
l
a c 607 U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 6:52:17 PM

I saw that there is a fix out there. I'm not sure if it works for AMD cards, but basically, you trick the game into thinking you are playing with a 7800GS card in DX9. You can still play in DX10, but framerates are higher.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17613...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2010 7:25:00 PM

I never had problems with Fallout 3 on my 8800GTS or GTX 260. So... anyhow.

As for Fallout New Vegas, keep in mind this game was just released. There are bound to be bug issues that need fixed. Check out the dedicated game forum for Fallout New Vegas on their site and see what folks are saying. If everyone else is having the problem, expect an eventual patch.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 4:08:07 AM

17seconds said:
I saw that there is a fix out there. I'm not sure if it works for AMD cards, but basically, you trick the game into thinking you are playing with a 7800GS card in DX9. You can still play in DX10, but framerates are higher.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17613...

Here is the original thread from the Bethesda forums
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123460-pot...
and here is the file on newvegasnexus;
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3477...
It does indeed work with ATI cards and no, you can't run the game in DX10 if you use that which is the point of tricking the game into thinking you have a DX9 card. The problem is apparently caused by poorly implemented emulation of DX9 when playing in DX10 mode. From what I've read the game is DX9 anyway so this shouldn't change anything other than fixing the problem.

nforce4max said:
The one of the things that I truly hate and that is ego. My post is relivent to this thread as both games have the same engine. -.-
Then you should check your own ego on occasion. The problem with frame rates in New Vegas didn't exist in the original Fallout 3 and says nothing about the entirely different issue with crashing you mention for the original game yet you say the OPs post "proved" to you that it wasn't limited to Nvidia. That obviously makes no sense so spare me the insults because someone questioned your conclusions.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 12:49:44 PM

jyjjy said:
Here is the original thread from the Bethesda forums
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123460-pot...
and here is the file on newvegasnexus;
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3477...
It does indeed work with ATI cards and no, you can't run the game in DX10 if you use that which is the point of tricking the game into thinking you have a DX9 card. The problem is apparently caused by poorly implemented emulation of DX9 when playing in DX10 mode. From what I've read the game is DX9 anyway so this shouldn't change anything other than fixing the problem.

Then you should check your own ego on occasion. The problem with frame rates in New Vegas didn't exist in the original Fallout 3 and says nothing about the entirely different issue with crashing you mention for the original game yet you say the OPs post "proved" to you that it wasn't limited to Nvidia. That obviously makes no sense so spare me the insults because someone questioned your conclusions.

Same engine but only more problems.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 1:31:57 PM

Let's try and keep it clean chaps.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 3:04:27 PM

having played both games at launch, the issues that plagued Fallout 3, random crashes to the desktop, issues with more then two cores, are completely different from those in new vegas. At launch Fallout 3 was not very demanding, I played it with an athlon x2 and 8600GT (or 9600GT i forget) and had no issue playing at high settings. new vegas is far more hardware demanding (even though they use the same engine), has issues with AA causing flashes, has save issues (they disappear from the menu), NPCs fall into the road and disappear and a countless list of other issues.

the gameplay is solid though and the world is more mature (everyone swears...a lot)
m
l
October 21, 2010 3:42:40 PM

For the most part, isn't new vegas just as graphically demanding as Fo3? I don't think that they did any graphical improvements, thus, I don't see why there are fps probs unless the game itself in unstable...
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
October 21, 2010 3:59:14 PM

it's more demanding (but looks basically the same) obsidian made some changes and the AA causes issues. FPS drops are very common in the game.
m
l
October 22, 2010 5:11:40 AM

Ok so fallout NV is direct x9, this seems to be a trend with my card it runs direct x9 games like crap, medal of honor single player is horrible but the direct x 11 mp is flawless, might be bad drivers on ati's part then, focusing to much on the new direct x 11 and forgetting about 9.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
October 22, 2010 6:03:43 AM

The new medal of honor actually uses two totally different engines for single and multiplayer so you can't compare performance between the two.
m
l
October 26, 2010 2:53:41 PM

jyjjy said:
The new medal of honor actually uses two totally different engines for single and multiplayer so you can't compare performance between the two.

really? why?
m
l
!