Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Do It Yourself
  • Components
  • Computers
Last response: in Components
March 12, 2011 2:51:56 PM

I live in a 3rd world country so computer components are very plentiful down here...there are a few computer stores but they charge an arm+leg for crap items, just to show you how bad it is: a evga 8600gs cost $500+ EC which is abt $200 usd. The components in my sig were bought in the US and my mother brought them down for me (of course she could not bring down an entire case).

To the main point...I have and old compaq for years ago i would like to mod, there are numerous hardware stores around and I have access to my dad's power tools. I would like to try and mod this case b4 I give in to the extremely over priced cases they sell down here.

this is it:

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/oldcompaq.jpg/

i need some advice going about modding it

More about : diy case mod approach

a c 878 ) Power supply
March 12, 2011 5:03:32 PM

Adding cooling fans side panel window and so on is very simple with the help of power tools, then you have multiple options in color inside and out with spray paint.
m
l
March 12, 2011 5:12:09 PM

rolli59 said:
Adding cooling fans side panel window and so on is very simple with the help of power tools, then you have multiple options in color inside and out with spray paint.

I read the 4830 runs quite hot and it exhausts in the case.
I was thinking of mounting a 120mm fan at the bottom and use something to channel air to the GPU also front,rear top fans..im just trying to figure out the best way to do it
m
l
Related resources
a c 878 ) Power supply
March 12, 2011 5:29:18 PM

Minimum for good airflow would be an intake in the front and exhaust in the back. Putting a side panel fan on to blow at the GPU would be a good add on.
m
l
a c 277 ) Power supply
March 12, 2011 6:00:50 PM

The simplest thing to do would be to remove the side panel and leave it off.

If you have pets, keep them out of the room.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 12, 2011 6:21:52 PM

AstroTC said:
I live in a 3rd world country so computer components are very plentiful down here...there are a few computer stores but they charge an arm+leg for crap items, just to show you how bad it is: a evga 8600gs cost $500+ EC which is abt $200 usd. The components in my sig were bought in the US and my mother brought them down for me (of course she could not bring down an entire case).

To the main point...I have and old compaq for years ago i would like to mod, there are numerous hardware stores around and I have access to my dad's power tools. I would like to try and mod this case b4 I give in to the extremely over priced cases they sell down here.

this is it:

http://img145.imageshack.us/i/oldcompaq.jpg/

i need some advice going about modding it

I would visit the modding gurus at www.mnpctech.com. They have lots of great tutorials and nice tricks to make it easy and fun. The 4830 shouldn't generate more heat than a typical graphics card, but I think the side panel fan would be ideal. If you install a window , (or even if you didn't) then a 4 inch hole saw will allow for a 120mm fan to be mounted above your card as previously mentioned.
You can find fan templates and other helpful stuff at mnpctech. GL, and we'll be here if you have more questions or get stuck.

You'll want hole saws for cutting fans in, and a jigsaw for cutting windows. If you plan on painting, you'll need an assortment of different grade sandpaper.
March 12, 2011 6:33:35 PM

Best answer selected by AstroTC.
m
l
March 12, 2011 6:33:42 PM

Thank you
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 12, 2011 6:38:01 PM

AstroTC said:
Thank you