Closed

BMP to TIFF or TIFF to BMP- any loss?

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 21, 2005 5:14:54 PM

Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?

Thanks,
Jenna

More about : bmp tiff tiff bmp loss

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:14:55 PM

Jenna Topping wrote:
> Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?
>
> Thanks,
> Jenna

no. However, both take up rather more disk space than is necessary.
January 21, 2005 6:05:53 PM

"Jenna Topping" <jt456@jbl.net> wrote in message
> Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?
>
> Thanks,
> Jenna

I believe that TIFF can be 16-bit whereas BMP are only 8-bit, otherwise
there should be no other loss.
Related resources
January 21, 2005 7:24:17 PM

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in news:csr5ok$7v3$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk:

> I believe that TIFF can be 16-bit whereas BMP are only 8-bit, otherwise
> there should be no other loss.

Also, Tiff can have a color profile.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 8:01:50 PM

"Jenna Topping" <jt456@jbl.net> wrote in message
> Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?
>
> Thanks,
> Jenna

Shouldn't be, I don't think, unless you resize the pic ?
Steven
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:18:15 AM

"Jenna Topping" <jt456@jbl.net> wrote in message
> Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?

Probably(depends what you mean by loss), especially going from TIFF to BMP.
Has to do with how BMP's handle color. Go to
http://www.uwm.edu/People/price/graphic_file_format_com... for a
indepth explanation. The problem is although TIFF is technical better it
has the problem of to many "standards" I've also had trouble with windows
explorer handling some TIFF files-impossible to delete! I try to use PNG as
much as possible. Most(all?) modern graphics programs seem to support it.

> Thanks,
> Jenna

November 9, 2013 4:06:41 PM

Anonymous said:

"Jenna Topping" <jt456@jbl.net> wrote in message
> Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?

Probably(depends what you mean by loss), especially going from TIFF to BMP.
Has to do with how BMP's handle color. Go to
http://www.uwm.edu/People/price/graphic_file_format_com... for a
indepth explanation. The problem is although TIFF is technical better it
has the problem of to many "standards" I've also had trouble with windows
explorer handling some TIFF files-impossible to delete! I try to use PNG as
much as possible. Most(all?) modern graphics programs seem to support it.

> Thanks,
> Jenna

November 9, 2013 4:07:40 PM

On ur knocker ;)