P6X58D premium upgrade?

nchabazam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Ok I have a couple questions. I currently have a ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard.

I have 6x 2gb 1600 mhz ddr 3 ram, I don't know the make.

I have 2 580 gtxs that currently are in slots 1/2 (and the board supposedly has 16/16/1 or 16/8/8), and I'd like to move them to slots 1 and 3 for cooling purposes as they're overheating being right next to each other. It's unclear if this board even supports them being in slots 1 and 3 (besides being in a 16/1 configuration which is obviously no good). I can't try it out in my current case, so I'm waiting on a new case to come.

I also bought a crucial m4 256gb ssd. I heard this board doesn't actually fully support 6gb/s ssds (bad marvell controller or something?).

Also, I want to get a big heat sink like the Prolimatech CPU Cooler with 2 28mm fans without blocking ram slots. I'm really kind of a newb at all this stuff (I have a friend who is going to put it together for me since I'm just upgrading a few components). I guess worst case I could buy new ram as it isnt' that expensive, but wouldn't the heatsink be blocking slots 1/2 which are best for overclocking or something along those lines? The reason I'd want to get a good heatsink is to overclock my Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Processor 3.33 GHz.

So ya if my current motherboard is good enough (like would run the SSD close enough to theoretical capacity that it wouldn't show any noticeable slowdown in what I'm doing such as standard computer stuff/games) and can support the 2 card SLI in 16/8 setup if I move them to slots 1 and 3, I could buy new ram. If those are going to be a problem, what's the best new futurish proof motherboard? Budget isn't a huge concern, I'd just rather not have to upgrade anytime soon. Thanks.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
I have the same MB. If you are staying with the i7 you have, there is not any benefit in a new board. This board is one of the best performance wise for the X58 chip set. The multi card support is also one of the best for this series chip. I do not think you will bottleneck the ssd at all. I have a Noctua NH-D14 and it clears my memory just fine. You need to select from any without heat spreaders that add extra height.
There is no way to future proof. I have been running my i920 at 4gh for almost 2 years with no problems at all. The board is rock stable. However if you want to move up to more current, consider changing to a 2500k or 2600k based system. Take a look at the Tom's builds from the last two seasons to get an idea of cost vrs. performance.

nchabazam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Ok so it seems like there are serious issues with putting a graphics card in slot 3 as it knocks out other wires, and there's also the loss of it not being a 16x slot.

Does anybody have any motherboard suggestions? I'm upgrading not because I want to but because it seems like this board just wasn't really designed properly for SLI.

Preferably one that has decent clearance between the heatsink and the ram (I just ordered a prolimatech Megahalems rev b cooler and 2 25mm thick fans for push/pull), has support for true 6gb/s for the new SSD I just ordered, and has room for SLI in slots 1 and 3?

Thank you in advance!