Router connection

vish_16

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Hello,
I have an old desktop running win xp and connected thru broadband cable modem. i purchased a dlink wireless router DIR-600 and want to connect that to the desktop modem and use it to create a wireless network in my house which can be received by my wifi enabled laptop. unfortunately my desktop refuses to recognise the router. so what should i do? or do i have to buy any other gadgets?

G

Connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable.

See the literature which came with your router for how to access the user setup screens in the router. Once in go to wireless security and review or renew the wireless security type and password. WPA PSK TKIP is the most common security type in use. Make a note of the SSID or change it to one of your invention.

Go to wireless mode and ensure that it's set to a protocol matching your computer's wireless adapter (mixed mode is a safe bet).

Disconnect ethernet cable.

Go to the computer's wireless networking setup screen and see if you can detect the router's SSID (wireless call sign). Select that network.

Apply the wireless security type and password to the computer's wireless networking setup screen.

vish_16

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
i am really sorry that i delayed to thank the forum for hosting this query and to fihart for giving me a solution. the problem is that i shifted home and got everything in a disarrayed, internetless world. need to settle down.

meanwhile i need to thank fihart for giving me a clue in the last line of his reply! i had tried everything as instructed but my computer just wouldn't start broadcasting! i was connecting the router to the modem and the modem to the desktop and waiting for the router cd to work it out for me. the cd would play alright but it would stop when the computer is asked to recognise the router. no way! i was quite frustrated when i went through fihart's instructions again word by word and finally eureka! the last line caught my imagination. i thought of risking another 1000 bucks or so (indian bucks..yours 20 dollars?). caught a rick at 9:30 pm, landed at the mall gate when it was just 15 mins to closing time bought a desktop wireless adaptor and came flying home, fixed the adaptor into an available usb slot (thank god...the old girl was somewhat modern!)...well...for all you know she started broadcasting! now i have a home wireless system. dlink is pretty good. the router is a dlink 150 and the adapter is also a dlink 150. no probs wrt to walls. signals everywhere. now my problem is...how do i stop possible terrorists from using my bandwidth? well...i have put in some security passwords etc and when i checked up in my laptop it was a secured connection. am concerned that my htc hd mini also catches the signals pretty well and last time i checked it didn't seem to ask me for a password? i need to work around that problem. meanwhile i have disconnected the wifi router and got back to old fashioned cables. will be that way till i set my house in order and get my priorities right!
my thanks to tom's (for hosting my problem) and to fihart (for solving the issue).
Good day guys and thanks once again.
vish with wishes (from india)