How long will this Card be valid???

Status
Not open for further replies.

23dexter89

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hi :hello:
I have an EVGA GTX 460 1GB VGA. How long can i use it before having to upgrade to a newer card? I'm a Gamer, and expect good performance from it.
Can anyone please advise. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
If you maintain it then it should be more than enough for a very long time 2-3 years with 4 years being the max before the bloating of games forces you to upgrade. Then there is sli which is dead end say 2 years into owning the first should keep going long enough for the system to be hopelessly out of date.
GTX460 is considered as "new" card, so i guess it will stand for a long time, well, until you need more performance, if you are an enthusiast then i'm pretty sure you need more than GTX460 to fulfill your desire as a gamer... :)

mfarrukh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
I think the GTX 460 SLI will keep you up for another year or so.
Because out of one hundred games, only one or two demands graphics power like CRYSIS or METRO 2033
So grab another GTX 460 and enjoy

If you maintain it then it should be more than enough for a very long time 2-3 years with 4 years being the max before the bloating of games forces you to upgrade. Then there is sli which is dead end say 2 years into owning the first should keep going long enough for the system to be hopelessly out of date.

Solution

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Based on past trends and your willingness to use an 8600GT for three years, then another three years out of a GTX 460 is not unexpected. However, it is quite hard for use to guess what the next three years will hold for computers, and what your tastes for graphics will be in that timeframe.

A year to a year and a half before they bloat games to a point ware current gen cards begin to feel the pain even the Radeon 6k series will start to budge by then so stick with what you got for now. The only reason why devs at this time to make games that are half ass at best optimized due to the newt boxes called X360 and Ps3.

Vadorsystems

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Man, all you people and your high resolutions =/ ... I still have my 9800GT and game at 1440 x 900 ... =O .. suits me fine, hehe I would upgrade.. but im one of them.. "the hardware I have works ok for what i do.. so no point in upgrades" guys xD .. but the GTX 460 should be good for a couple years yeh especially with SLI option... unless like.. they release a new games thats more demanding then crysis o_O hrmmm that might kill the world

I can max out two of those in sli at 1280x1024 with 32x sli aa and all the other eye candy (more than max) but by then both gpus are running at or near 100% and the cpu is all lag before even that. So I ended up getting a GTX460 and it does the job like what I needed it to. I have already cleaned it once already lol. 300-500 hours use thus far.

Vadorsystems

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
2GB of ram and dual core? oh god no ct, its quad core and 4gb of RAM here, but i do have to admit.. considering its age the 9800GT is pretty powerful, I will however be upgrading card soon, probably to GTX 470 or 480, so should extend the life by about 5 years.. or it best to.. 5 year uni course comming up in games programming, so if the card I buy before uni doesnt last 5 years of intense games.. im screwed xD. but.. this is going a little off topic so sorry about that lol

23dexter89

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Well I managed to play everything upto MW2(Except Crysis :( ) with it.... attached to a P4 with 1.5GB RAM. :)

23dexter89

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Well your wish might come true when Crysis 2 comes out :lol:

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Exactly what happen to me, my 8800GT - died after 2 years and 1.5 weeks (Inno3D wouldnt even help, not interested :( )

I bought a GTX470 on my old X2 4200+ system and was hughely happy, just got a very decent wage one month and splashed out on a completely new rig.

In my opinion, that card will last easy 18months.. (1.5years) - stop worrying and enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.