New CPU and Thermal Paste

cjkeithl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Hello,
I recently bought a new Amd athlon II x4 3.0ghz cpu to replace my amd atlon II x2 2.9ghz. It's not like I really needed it, but had the money, and my motherboard supported it. I put it on easily, but decided to go back and use a qtip to dust under where the cpu was. I did this about 12 hours after putting in on. When I took it back off some of the thermal paste that was pre-applied is on the processor and the rest on the heatsink and fan. I just stuck heatsink and fan back on it. Is this unevenness going to cause a problem, like bubbles or gaps between the paste? I know this may sound like nothing but I didn't want this to cause a major problem. Am I fine or in deep water?

Uther39

Distinguished
YOu probably would get away with it, but generaly its good practice when you remove a cooler to clean all the thermal paste of it, and then re-apply a good qaulity paste something like arctic silver or MX5 compound would do. Or even better go and buy an after market cooler with paste pre-applied even one of these(Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler) which are very cheap would be better than using the AMD stock cooler.

3rd best stuff available today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154012&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-CPU+Thermal+Paste+/+Grease-_-TUNIQ-_-35154012

thank you for link
i saved as a favorite
next time i buy paste
I will use this one

Though one question
what is your emotional hatred over AS5? LOL
Did it do something to you?
Is the Wrath of Pscho's Vengeance Unleashed upon this Poor Potion?
I am just having fun so dont get mad :D