Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stuttering with FRAPS recently

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2010 4:20:11 PM

Hi, I recently updated my nForce drivers but then afterwards I did a system restore to a point right before they were installed (because they were causing slow access times) and then shortly after I installed new graphics drivers (260.89 WHQL). But the thing is, now when I use FRAPS to record me playing games it spikes/stutters so heavily going from 60fps to 5. Mind you everything was going fine before I updated this stuff. I was getting 45 at minimum from recording before the update and now it's all over the place so this isn't one of things where the cpu is too slow as it was just fine before. I don't have any programs running in the background apart from the game, steam and fraps.

I'm assuming anyways that I've pinpointed this with the drivers but since I don't know how I could fix it I figured I'd ask the community here.

GPU: MSI 460GTX Hawk (1GB)
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4ghz
HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB (Model: FALS)
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
October 20, 2010 4:27:23 PM

Have you tried using the older drivers again?
Score
October 20, 2010 4:28:58 PM

Haven't yet. I didn't even think about that haha. I'll do that and see what happens.. *crosses fingers*
Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 20, 2010 5:07:48 PM

have you reinstalled fraps since the driver upgrade? may help, not 100% sure though.
October 20, 2010 5:18:21 PM

I just did a clean install of the previous 258.96 drivers and the game still stutters. I could reinstall FRAPS but I don't know how much that'll help honestly.

I still have the recording so I could upload it to youtube if you would like to take a look. It seems like the game consistently stutters all over the place then randomly goes to 60fps for about 5 seconds and then goes right back to stuttering. This has been tested on Left4Dead 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Team Fortress 2 *Note that it stutters while looking at a wall/sky/ground as well.

edit: reinstalled fraps... trying that out
Score
October 20, 2010 6:54:45 PM

Best answer selected by HaakonXCI.
Score
October 20, 2010 6:56:19 PM

deweycd said:
have you reinstalled fraps since the driver upgrade? may help, not 100% sure though.

Don't know how... don't know why but that seemed to work. The game still stutters partially here and there but definitely not like what it was before. Ah well either way glad to have it all working again. Thank you very much!
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
October 20, 2010 9:39:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!