How to disable Shift-Fn-Esc for Standby?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

This may be specific to a Dell laptop. My Dell Inspiron 1150 has a hot
key Shift-Fn-Esc to kick in Standby immediately. Since I often use
Ctrl-Shift-Esc to launch Task Manager, it's very easy to press that
hotkey combination instead. How can I disable it? Thanks.

Yong Huang
yong321ATyahoo.com
2 answers Last reply
More about disable shift standby
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I'm not sure about this but there's a high chance that there's Dell
    software pre-loaded on the laptop to handle the functionality of the Fn
    keys. I'm hazarding this guess because my IBM laptop has a whole slew
    of extra software for hotkeys involving Fn.

    Will
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <yong321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > This may be specific to a Dell laptop. My Dell Inspiron 1150 has a hot
    > key Shift-Fn-Esc to kick in Standby immediately. Since I often use
    > Ctrl-Shift-Esc to launch Task Manager, it's very easy to press that
    > hotkey combination instead. How can I disable it? Thanks.

    If you're using XP, you can disable it through Windows. Go to Control Panel
    > Power Options > Advanced tab. There should be a drop-down for what to do
    "When I press the sleep button on my computer". Change that to "Do nothing"
    and that should disable the standby hotkey.

Laptops Dell Inspiron Dell