Waste of time?

I'm wondering if waiting for the 6970 is a waste of time and money. I have a 5770 at the moment and 85%-90% of the games I play or have played I'm able to do so at Max settings between 35-65 FPS.. The exceptions being Metro 2033 which is about 25-35 FPS and Crysis. Kane and Lynch 2 I get between 35-40.. I'm wondering if the upcoming 6870 would be adequate.. Below are my specs.

AMD Phenom2 x4 955 @ 3.9Ghz
8GB 1066 DDR3
Asus Mobo w/ PCIe 2.1 x16
900 Watt PSU
21.5" Inch ASUS monitor, max res 1920x1080

The most I'll ever run is two monitors. CurrentlyI only have one monitor. I was thinking crossfire 6870's, but then I'll have to get a new mobo, mine will do crossfire with the second card @ x4 instead of x16.

So I guess the question is, wait for 6970? Get a single 6870? Or Crossfire TWO 6870's or two 6850's and get a new mobo. My desired budget is $400-$550.. Keeping it as low as possible but also getting the best possible experience for the money. Any other suggestions would be awesome.. Thx.. I'm looking to upgrade ASAP.
5 answers Last reply
More about waste time
  1. Why not just wait for the benchmarks to come out?
  2. ^ +1

If you're getting 25-35 FPS with Metro 2033 you're obviously not running DX11 mode. LOL
  3. jerreece said:
    ^ +1

If you're getting 25-35 FPS with Metro 2033 you're obviously not running DX11 mode. LOL

Sorry, forgot to mention.. That is in DirectX 10. lol

Anonymous said:
    metro is poor game to use as a benchmark

if you are happy with 85-90% of all games you play then I would say you are all set

I'm not happy with 85-90%.. That's the point. My question wasn't "Should I stick with what I have?".. The question was is the 6970 overkill for my resolution/rig, and if so what do you suggest?
  4. well if I was in your situation, and this is my own opinion I would get a 6870 single if you wanted a small boost, or 6970 if you wanted a major boost. If you are an enthusiast go for the 6970, if you are just mainstream go for the single 6870. With me I have a similar situation, my motherboard is x16/x4 and if I wanted to crossfire I would need a new motherboard, so what I plan on doing is getting a 6870 on release, then later when I need the extra power, maybe a year or two down the road, I'll get a new motherboard and crossfire a second 6870. Right now my new mobo is still even under warrenty and I just dont want to throw it away. It seems good enough to me to be able to play most games a decent to max settings.
  5. mohamads9000 said:
    well if I was in your situation, and this is my own opinion I would get a 6870 single if you wanted a small boost, or 6970 if you wanted a major boost. If you are an enthusiast go for the 6970, if you are just mainstream go for the single 6870. With me I have a similar situation, my motherboard is x16/x4 and if I wanted to crossfire I would need a new motherboard, so what I plan on doing is getting a 6870 on release, then later when I need the extra power, maybe a year or two down the road, I'll get a new motherboard and crossfire a second 6870. Right now my new mobo is still even under warrenty and I just dont want to throw it away. It seems good enough to me to be able to play most games a decent to max settings.

Thanks for the input.. That's sound advice..

Anonymous said:
    then going with a 6xxx obviously makes sense, just wait for the benchmarks to come out to see what is the appropriate card for you but even the ATI 5850 will handle 1080p gaming just fine.

I'm def going with the 6xxx. I'm thinking on launch, I'm going to grab a 6870. If it's not enough, I'll look at the price of the 6970 and I'll make the decision to either sell the 6870 (and 5770, and my Athlon x4 620 chip) and go for a 6970 or grab a new mobo for 200 and another 6870. Whichever is the more economical of the two. I think either of those two options will be more than enough to handle any of the current games at my resolution. Worse comes to worse, and neither of those two options work out economically, then I say it, and grab a by-then discounted 5870 and rock with that. Thankfully, at this point, money isn't that much of a concern. It's takes a back seat to the value:performance ratio.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Monitors Graphics